What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An IC Chinese Food Secret

The Ironic Chef

The problem with cooking Chinese food is that with a regular stove, electric gas or whatever you just can't get the heat needed. I have seen so many different methods for getting the heat needed. Alton Browns method is to go out and rent one of them jet packs used for Deep Fried Turkey fryers. Seems like a big expense to cook a food that is very inexpensive.

I came up with a simple technique that I like to use. It does require the use of a real wok though. Not one of the cheap non stick ones.

I like grilling with either hardwood or charcoal. Don't make them looks at me Rick, lol. Lump coal is just way to expensive to get around here and I haven't attempted to make my own yet. I will soon enough though and hope no one calls the cops regarding all the smoke.

With either charcoal, hard wood chunks or even lump coal, I like to use what is called a chimney starter. It resembles a stove pipe with a basket on the upper 2/3 that you fill with your coal ect. The bottom 1/3 is where you place about 3 crumbled up pieces of newspaper and lite them. In about 15 minutes you have hot coals that you dump into the grill and ready for cooking. These chimneys cost about 20.00 for a decent sturdy one and can be picked up at most places that sells grills.

With charcoal, each brick puts out about 15 degrees of heat. The chimney holds at least 50-60 bricks. That's over 750* 0f heat. That's enough heat for cooking Chinese food.

I place the wok right on top of the chimney. Working fast with this much heat is a must so have everything prepared in advance. A real wok is also a must because it carries the heat up the side like it's suppose to. As you cook the ingredients, the ingredients are pulled up the sides.

I personally love fried rice. For really good fried rice, this kind of heat is a must have.

It's a shame my late father didn't think of that. He loved his Chinese food but could never get the results he wanted -- our former home in Taiwan (in the 50's-60's) had a 2-burner kerosene stove and a large wok that must be over 2' in diameter. I assume it was carbon steel to take that kind of heat. I still have it, up in the attic, but it is too big for a regular stove. Using it now (over charcoal) for one person would be kind of overkill.

That's a great idea IC. by the way have you used maggi seasoning sauce as a seasoning when cooking Chinese ? I started using it and it's great.

Tha is a neat idea IC, and CanMan you own an authentic Wok WOW!!! I hear you though on using it to cook for just one would be kind of over kill. But I was thinking since you use your Food Saver often you could make up a really large batch of Fried Rice or whatever Chinese dishes you like and then freeze it into smaller prepackaged meals that you would have available in a snap! I also bet you could make one of those charcoal gadgets IC was describing out of an old large metal coffee can & a small metal coffee can and not have to spend any money buying one. I would not even hesitate to try making one. I'd take the small coffee can and using a little can opener (the kind that you use to open a can of evaporated milk) and make a bunch of little holes in the botton of it. Place the samll can into the large can (be sure to add a few holes to the bottom of the big can too) Put the charcoal into the small can and ignite it (I'd use lighter fluid) let it get hot and then place the Wok onto the top of the whole thing and cook away. The large can would make a perfect size burner & would hold the wok perfectly. Your fire would probably last quite a long time in the little can and when you were done Woking, you could dump the coals out into the hibache or grill and cook a nice juicy steak! Wow that sounds like alot of work after all is said and done!:D Just an idea though! I hate to hear you have that nice Wok going to waste up in the attic!

That's a great idea IC. by the way have you used maggi seasoning sauce as a seasoning when cooking Chinese ? I started using it and it's great.

Rick. when I make Chinese food I usually stay simple with basically garlic, ginger, hot pepper flakes and soy sauce with a touch of white wine. Even for my marinades.

For a spicy sauce I'll make a bbq sauce using catsup, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, pineapple juice and again with the red pepper flakes. I just start dumping, lol, never measuring and then just cook it down for a nice sauce.
I make chicken kabobs with pineapple, peppers and grape tomatoes. I make the chicken in advance, coating in a tempura type batter using eggs and cornstarch and deep frying. Then everything onto the skewers and grilled together and brushed with the sauce. If my camera hadn't been broken I would have some pictures. They make for a really good photo shoot.

I have a very large and sturdy chimney starter but it never crossed my mind to cook on it though. It's always been a light, wait then dump in the smoker sort of thing.

Back