What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ever try this thing?

jglass

2db5awz.jpg

It is a Cameron Cookware Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker. I ordered one yesterday.

Taken in order, Janie:

1. The stovetop smoker is just one brand of several using a similar design. I used to have one, but my exhaust fan has been on the blink, so don't do that sort of thing in the house anymore. And it got used so infrequently when I had it that it wasn't worth keeping.
Yours is sheet steel (as opposed to cast iron) and there's another thing to keep in mind: Because the base and the lid expand and contract at slightly different rates, the lid sometimes jams in place. Don't panic. Just wait a few minutes until everything cools down a little, and it should slide right out.
These stovetop smokers are OK for flavoring food. But don't expect to do a real smoke job with one of them.
BTW, you can easily jury-rig one of these smokers using a roasting pan, a cooling rack, and some foil.

2. The Slice Wizard is generically known as a V-slicer, and is a variation on the standard mandoline. Some have interchangeable blades, some don't. And all have safety guards, which should always be used.
V-slicers are said to do a neater job on many items (soft ones, like tomatoes, in particular) because the blades grab progressively from the sides instead of full-frontally. Mandolines of any persuasion are the most dangerous kitchen gadget going. Always use the safety guard, or you'll have fingernails (at best) or finger tips (at worst) as part of your recipe. One of the downsides to V-slicers is that they rarely (none I'm familiar with) have corrugated blades.
Did I mention you should always use the safety guard?

3. The Bonzai Chopper is a home-use variation of commercial french fry cutters. It's advantages: Everything comes out of it the same size, so it all cooks evenly. And, if you're making fries, or chopping onions, or whatever for a crowd, you can save some time with it. The disadvantage: Most people do not use it often enough to justify either the price (irrelevent in your case) or the amount of storage space it takes up. Frankly, most experienced cooks can use a chef's knife to make frys and the like just as evenly sized (or near enough to not matter). To me, this is an unnecessary gadget.

Which raises the issue: What is a necessary gadget? Excluding knives, one could make the case that no gadget is necessary in the kitchen. But, more realistically, I consider necessary gadgets as those which truly make the task at hand more efficient. They either help you do a better job or a faster job. This is balanced against how often the gadget gets used, and how much storage space it needs.

Last edited:
Slice wizard - I've got so many variations of this gizmo throughout the years. For some reason - the knife is just as good. And safer than many of them.

Smoker???? I'd rather buy an outdoor one and use that.

Sorry - just my opinion. remember - I've got years behind me and gizmos that you've probably never seen or heard of...........

I have a outdoor smoker which I cant use here in the apartment. I have only had the chance to use it once and then I had to take it to Jons Dads. Smoking things takes so long I hate to get stuck at his place all day. Landlord would throw a fit if I tried to use it on the balcony. Cannot wait til they close downstairs and try it on the balcony because the landlord is always popping back in all evening long. I was hoping the stovetop one would work as well.
The one time I got to try my smoker Jons Dad wanted to use some chicken he had raised at Jons brothers. They were beyond tough. Of course they both thought it was from smoking and I tried to tell them it was probably the chicken. Later that week his Dad made some more of that same batch of chicken. It was so tough even cooking it in the pressure cooker didnt make it tender. I would love to get to try smoking something that actually turns out well.

I have a good mandoline but it is big and I do not have alot of space. I was hoping the little v-slicer would do for smaller jobs. I had gotten a gift certificate which I used for the Bonzai Chopper. That one was a total impulse thing and since it was free..what the heck. If I dont like it Ill pass it along to someone else.

I know I have to many gizmos. I agree a good sharp knife can accomplish the same task. Perhaps I should practice more patience and less buying power :eek: Maybe I need to join a support group ;)

I wish my friends would join a support group! If it's for the kitchen - it's for Mama! Automatically. Don't get me wrong - I do like to try out certain gizmos - others - forget it. When a commercial comes on for some of these things - I immediately say - NO THANK YOU - NOT IN MY HOUSE - or else I will get one, or two. Ditto with appliances of all sorts. Although I would like a commercial stand mixer with an extra strong motor. That I can definitely use!

The V-slicers are nice to use and they are small. Mandolins - I have no use for - tossed mine and will never ever again have one.

I have several small choppers - they do come in handy - but old habits never die - I still do it the old fashioned way.

Since the Bonzai was free - enjoy it!

According to my account statue the gizmos have been shipped and should be in sometime this week.

Slice wizard is junk. Works fine until the juice from the veggie your working on gets on it.
Then it just tears the veggie apart. Bonzai Chopper works ..you just have to have some muscle. Its very hard to push down the top to chop a potatoe or onion.

Havent tried the smoker yet.

If I dont like it Ill pass it along to someone else.

O-O-O-Ohhh me 1st! I want dibs on the Bonzai if you do not like it (I have a Birthday coming up in November:D)

That is so similar to my Ronco that I used to make fr. fries and I loved it and I miss it too.

"Hello, my name is Cathy and I am a shop-a-gadget-o-holic" AND Janie and MamaM and everyone yells, HI CATHY!!!

Last edited:
lol They say the first step is admitting you have a problem.

The bonzai cuts potatoes but you have to really apply alot of pressure to the lid to get it to go through the tater. I read alot of people had their hinges break that way. It does much better with onions and garlic.

I was a little quick to condemn the slicer. I tried it with the thin slicer setting using a cucumber. NOT good. It basilcally tore the cucumber apart after a few slices. Changed the blades to the middle and then the larger slice and both worked well with a potato. Tried the matchstick fries blade and the french fry blade both of which worked well. All in all it was worth the cost.

I've seen Emeril use the smoker a lot on his show.

how did the smoker work out? I've been in the market for a very long time!

The smoker works great. I always cover mine with a layer of heavy duty foil to make extra sure the smoke doesnt get out. We live in a small apartment.
I smoke chicken legs, thighs and wings in mine. I have also made smoked salmon in it.

Back