What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deep fryer

M

mtmomj

There are SOOOO many of these available. Is there anything special I should look into before buying one of these? Is it really necessary to have anything better than the basic? There are such big price differences.

I guess, main thing I am wondering is - is it worth the money to buy a more expensive one or do you get what you need from a small one?

in all honesty - you don't need to spend a lot for one

i have fry daddy and fry baby - there's no temperature control on those - you need to go by the sizzle and the cooking time of the food you put in - the small one is nice for a few fritters or hushpuppies for dinner

i also have an older model which is also a rice cooker, steamer, etc. it's ok - but they have nicer models now - like the ones where the cover closes automatically as the basket is lowered - no splashing grease anywhere!
i like the size of this one for chicken (it's round) but its hard for large fish fillets - they need to be cut

it will depend on what you want to deep fry mostly if you want round or rectangular

there is also one out there with the double baskets where you can cook 2 different foods at the same time

since i don't deep fry all the time - what i have is fine but i am thinking about the one that automatically closes as the basket lowers - less clean up for this old girl!

when i make my italian fried dough i have to do it in the large cast iron skillet on the stove top because of the size of them

Thanks for your response! The automatic one sounds nice!

Mmm - I almost forgot about fried dough! That is something I haven't had in a couple of years!

I've been thinking of getting my wife one of those for christmas. I'll consider your advice while shopping.

in all honesty - you don't need to spend a lot for one

i have fry daddy and fry baby - there's no temperature control on those - you need to go by the sizzle and the cooking time of the food you put in - the small one is nice for a few fritters or hushpuppies for dinner

i also have an older model which is also a rice cooker, steamer, etc. it's ok - but they have nicer models now - like the ones where the cover closes automatically as the basket is lowered - no splashing grease anywhere!
i like the size of this one for chicken (it's round) but its hard for large fish fillets - they need to be cut

it will depend on what you want to deep fry mostly if you want round or rectangular

there is also one out there with the double baskets where you can cook 2 different foods at the same time

since i don't deep fry all the time - what i have is fine but i am thinking about the one that automatically closes as the basket lowers - less clean up for this old girl!

when i make my italian fried dough i have to do it in the large cast iron skillet on the stove top because of the size of them

I've got a big Masterbuilt Turk N' Surf electric turkey fryer and a Presto multi-cooker which also deep fries as well.

Last edited:
I just tossed my Deep Fryer after trying to clean some of the caked on grease in all the crevices, etc., and since this model does NOT allow the pot to come out for cleaning or emptying, it was impossible to clean where it needed to be cleaned and was not friendly to be taken apart. It went into the trash finally.

If you get one, make sure the pot is removable or at minimum has a drain plug. Then look at how many crevices it has to collect grease when it drips/splatters. What may "look nice" may not be so practical.

I'm falling back to my trusty Fry Daddy. Simplicity perhaps is the best for some.

I just tossed my Deep Fryer after trying to clean some of the caked on grease in all the crevices, etc., and since this model does NOT allow the pot to come out for cleaning or emptying, it was impossible to clean where it needed to be cleaned and was not friendly to be taken apart. It went into the trash finally.

If you get one, make sure the pot is removable or at minimum has a drain plug. Then look at how many crevices it has to collect grease when it drips/splatters. What may "look nice" may not be so practical.

I'm falling back to my trusty Fry Daddy. Simplicity perhaps is the best for some.

Have you ever heard of Dawn Power Dissolver? You could have cleaned it nicely with this stuff. Nothing can hide from it!!

I think ALL of them just about, are fully immersable now. Even though I wouldn't put it in the dishwasher, it can certainly be thoroughly washed by hand!

Keep the DPD standing by for tough cooked-on or burnt-on grease.

Have you ever heard of Dawn Power Dissolver? You could have cleaned it nicely with this stuff. Nothing can hide from it!!
Yes and you are making a (wrong) assumption that I'm able to soak the entire unit, electronics and all, into the water. As stated, an attempt was made without much success to dismantle it so that cleaning was possible.

Nope. I think you read my reply a bit wrong.

Note my 2nd paragraph where I said; (Quote) "I think ALL of them just about, are fully immesible NOW........" (End quote) Meaning that the ones made in THIS DAY & AGE, are immersible.

But I got what you said the 1st time; Yours was not immersable. You can't clean it in the sink.

Oh. And BTW, certain models of the Presto Fry Daddys aren't immersable either. Hopefully, yours is.

Last edited:
Question: What's the point of a deep fryer that does not have a thermostat built-in? I didn't notice, when I bought mine, that there was any sort of price difference based on that--to me--essential feature. The few that didn't have one were essentially the same prices as the same sized (usually larger, in fact)units that did.

The whole myth of frying as unhealthy stems from the fact most people fry at too low a temperature. 350F is the minimum, and, for most fried foods, 375F is even better.

But, unless you have a thermostat or use a remote thermometer of some kind, there is no way to know that you've reached---and, more importantly, maintained---that temperature.

Every heating appliance has a thermostat, othewise they would overheat.

You just can't control the level of heat for the unit.

I have a fry baby and a fry daddy - neither one is immersible - but they aren't hard to clean - one thing I don't do is leave the oil in the fryer - when cool I transfer to a bowl and put in the fridge - for some reason the oil tastes better when re-using - but maybe it's me

I also have the Fry Daddy, not immersible but very easy to pour out the oil and wipe clean. I had the Fry Baby for years and years but grew up to the larger size at some point that I can't remember.

I especially like the Fry Baby/Daddy's because I can store them away when not using. The big sealed units are too bulky for my kitchen and had to stay on the counter.

Sine we are leaning toward getting a large one for Christmas I am appreciative of all the advice. I just think we need one now with all the additional members of our family and the amount of frying we now do!

Cathy - may I please add another 2 cents here?

If you menu is now including more fried foods - take a look at the double deep fryers. A friend of mine bought one - she can do fish and seafoods on one side and other foods on the other side. Also - as the baskets go down into the oil, the top comes down - no splatters! Check them out and see if you would like something like that.

Cathy - may I please add another 2 cents here?

If you menu is now including more fried foods - take a look at the double deep fryers. A friend of mine bought one - she can do fish and seafoods on one side and other foods on the other side. Also - as the baskets go down into the oil, the top comes down - no splatters! Check them out and see if you would like something like that.

I sure will Mama I was actually thinking of a double basket one, and if the lid goes down WELL I'd love it then!!! I hate slattering grease going everywhere.

I actually got home the other afternoon to learn they had fried Vienna Sausage for one of the kids when I asked my step-daughter about it she explained it was a "Spanish thing", I explained the kid does not need the added fat, and I would hope common sence and education over rides some ignorant ethnic background habits of frying foods that are already loaded with tons of fat! Boy that really makes no sence to me at all, and the little one is already over-weight and had an eating disorder, she obsesses over food and eating, she is greedy and before she even finishes her meal is already begging for seconds, she had man sized portions loaded onto her plate and I just see her being way over-weight and unhealthy by age 16. She is 8 now! So I see it as a no-brainer not to fry her darned Vienna sausages! CRIPE :rolleyes: By the way they were fried in oil, not pan-seared in a non-stick pan!

Oh Cathy you got yout hands full!

A child like that is so used to the taste of fatty foods its going to be hard!

Start on the fruits and veggies! Start baking, roasting, skillet frying - anything but that for her. She'll adjust. I've had children like that to contend with - food was the only thing they lived for. Time for some activities - walking and learning about nature - and starting a "nature" diary about the weather, trees, etc. will help some.

I put my foot down - eating only at the kitchen table -and no munching on anything other than fruits or veggies in front of the TV. Occasional popcorn was ok. If their hands are busy with other things - they can't feed themselves as much.

I put my foot down - eating only at the kitchen table -and no munching on anything other than fruits or veggies in front of the TV. Occasional popcorn was ok. If their hands are busy with other things - they can't feed themselves as much.

You are right, busy hands will keep one happily preoccupied with something else! And fruits are great, they do not even get offered veggies, except at my insistence!

Back