What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faux Truffles

MsMai

Made with chocolate cake, frosting, and peanut butter chips, but taste like truffles. These are very easy to make starting with a cake mix beefed up with extra cocoa. Use a purchased frosting to save time or use your own homemade. You may wish to make the cake the day before. Refrigerate any leftovers.

1 package (18.25 ounces) dark chocolate cake mix
1/4 cup special dark powdered cocoa
1-1/3 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 container (16 ounces) prepared chocolate frosting
1 cup peanut butter chips
1 package (about 16 ounces) white or chocolate bark coating mix
Chocolate sprinkles for decoration, optional
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with nonstick foil.

Whisk together dry cake mix and cocoa powder. Add water, vegetable oil, and eggs, mixing only until combined. Spread in prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.

Crumble the cooled cake into a large mixing bowl. Stir in frosting and peanut butter chips by hand. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place cake balls on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid.

Melt bark coating pieces according to package directions. Dip cake balls in coating mix and place on a cookie sheet to let coating set. If you are using the chocolate sprinkles for decoration on top, dip 8 cake balls at a time and immediately sprinkle before the coating sets so the sprinkles will adhere. Refrigerate cake ball truffles until ready to serve.

Yield: about 75 truffles

mama- your truffle recipe reminded me of a cool (whacky?) and creative wedding cake I recently saw at this site- check it out! (hopefully you can easily maneuver to find the cake I'm speaking of! Click the first page to get into the site, then click "cakes" at the top of the page to see some of her work. Then click on the tiny thumbnail of the tall cake studded with dozens of truffles to see a larger view of it...)

April Reed Cake Design

Back