What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh Beets

Bought a bunch of beets at the farmers market.
What do I do to cook them?
Do I peel them when raw or cook them first?
What is a good way to cook them?

Fresh beets can be boiled, roasted, microwaved, sauteed, steamed or charcoal roasted.

Wash the beets and trim the ends off before cooking.

Place trimmed beets in a roasting pan and add a little water for steam. Roast the beets at 425 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes (cover the pan with foil) or until the beets are easily pierced with a knife. Slip off the skins under running water and slice or dice.

If boiling, cook the beets for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender.

If using a microwave oven, cook the beets with a little water for 8 to 15 minutes.

Match beets with orange (juice and zest), ginger or both.

Dress beets with a vinaigrette. Serve warm or at room temperature. Add some sweet onion, parsley, and hard-boiled egg chunks for a hearty salad.

Keep the beet greens - you can cook and eat these like any other slightly bitter greens.

If you're mixing beets with other vegetables (in a salad, for instance), cook and dress the beets separately and add them last. Their vivid color will seep into everything else otherwise.

I prefer to roast them which saves all that precious juice. Leave about 1/2"-1" of the tops on and leave the root on, otherwise the beet will bleed. Wrap in Aluminum Foil and roast at about 350°F (or higher is possible) for about 60 minutes. Check for doneness. A knife should enter with no resistance.

Remove from the oven and let cool enough that you can handle them. Wearing cloves (unless you want to be caught "red handed"), cut off the tops and bottoms and then use paper towel to wipe off the skin or peel using the edge of a paring knife.

Slice or dice and enjoy.

I've never roasted beets, but I think I will try it. I've always boiled them. Once cooled, I add a couple tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar, 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and minced garlic. It's a great side dish. But yeah, they stain bad, so you need to be careful!

not posted for awhile

I am sorry that I have not posted in weeks for two reasons

My hubby is on disability his back is out two dislocated discs from the therapist to the chiropractor to other pain management spe******ts and many more this is keeping me quite busy.

My dearest father died and I had to rush to T'dad to his funeral, I am still in mourning

All the best to everyone, sorry I have not participated for awhile. I will, I just need a little more time.

You're very welcomed - and it is not going to be easy - and it is not going to get better like everyone says - we need to learn to deal with such things - and there are so many questions and so many thoughts as well as all the memories and the "what ifs"....

Why is it so hard, I keep telling myself I should be prepared for this, I just wish he could have lived forever, we were so compatible, it gets worse for me especially when my hubby and I have a disagreement, and I am unable to do a quick call to my daddy who was a great listener, and a logical thinker, he made me feel good every time. The ifs is what is killing me mainly because I am in the USA and he was so far away, therefore by the time I arrived he was gone to a better place. What is keeping me afloat is the wonderful times we had together. Thanks so much for understanding and being patient with my rambling.

Back