What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's Time to Stock-Up Your Holiday Pantry

chubbyalaskagriz

Went to Sam's Club last night and found among other things a beautiful gallon jar of the BIGGEST Queen-Stuffed Green Olives that I have EVER seen! Only $12. A tiny jar of olives 1/2 the size at Krogers (labeled as "jumbo") was also $12!

Also stocked-up on other ingredients I know I'll use between now and New Years that I normally don't keep around that much: jumbo pecan halves, marinated jardinierre veggies, marinated artichoke hearts, whole cranberries, mincemeat, coconut, all kinds of various baking morsels- semi sweet choc, unsweetened choc, butterscotch, p.butter, marshmallow creme, sage, evaporated milk, chicken stock, jumbo shell-on prawns, butter, Heniz red chili sauce (it's GOT to go into homemade cocktail sauce for shrimp!) assorted crackers...

My holiday stock-piling has begun!

What's on YOUR list of holiday necessities?

definitely tons of flour and sugar, I made my vanilla sugars and the spice mixes I will be needing, vanilla is fresh along with the baking powder and soda, food coloring is checked and fine, spices are checked and replenished, now I am going through the recipes of waht I am going to make

I have picked up those same olives at SAMS. Ours has them in two jar packs. I always keep one and give on the Jon's Dad.
SAMS always has a good price on huge jugs of olive oil.
I went through my cabinet the other day and wrote down the herbs and spices I am low on. I need sage and poultry seasoning. I am also almost out of cinnamon, cocoa and several other spices I have to restock before the holidays. Not to mention extracts. Those also need restocked. I try and watch the papers for sales on chocolate chips, nuts and assorted sugars. They put brownie and cake mixes on sale here occasionally for $1 a box.
Thankfully since Jon's Dad plans to do a pizza Christmas this year like last I don't have to do as much cooking. I have a SS/holiday dinner with him the Sunday before Christmas and it is wonderful with just the three of us.

I do try and keep a well stocked pantry, still never have what I need. Oh well. We always have Wal-Mart, I hate that being the only store we have. We used to have a Winn Dixie but they closed some years ago. CF

Managed to stop by a little bulk food shop in town today and restock a few things. I got smoked paprika, rubbed sage, poultry seasoning, cinnamon, cocoa & fennel seed. I need to go by the Mexican supply shop tomorrow and get some Mexican oregano and then I should be in fair shape for herbs and spices. Need to get some herb de provence next time I go to Kroger.

Hey Girl, looks like you did good. I haven't done the shopping yet. Haven't a clue as to what I am waiting for. Really pleased to know your OK, was beginning to worry about you. (no post). I always look forward to your recipes. Here is a recipe you might like. CF:)

Herbes de Provence.
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon chervil
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon summer savory
1 teaspoon lavender
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon mint
2 powdered or chopped bay leaves

Picked-up something recently I had never tried before... store-bought packages of Gnocci. Tired some last week while I was under the weather. Didn't care for it at all- but my taster was off due to a bit of fever. But made a second package last night and tossed w/ some pesto and chicken and I enjoyed it much more this time!

OK, y'all got me on that one. I didn't have any idea what gnocchi was. Now I know. (Thank you Google) Sounds kinda tasty. Do y'all have a recipe? CF

This is the recipe I always use for Gnocchi. A wonderful trick Mama taught me is to substitute ricotta for the taters to make ricotta gnocchi that are yummy and light as a feather.

Gnocchi Recipe

2 cups mashed potatoes (cold)
1-1 1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion salt

In large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix into a soft dough.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 20 times.
Divide dough into fourths and roll each quarter into a 12 inch long rope.
Cut each rope into ½ inch pieces, and set on a floured surface.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Roll each piece of dough across the tines of a fork to get groves on it and drop it into the pot of water.
Cook gnocchi until it floats to the top.
Drain and serve.

I like to make them and then freeze on a sheet pan. Then I put them in a freezer bag for later.

Just wondering how they are served, as a main dish, sauced? Having never eaten any or seen any i am at kind of a loss. Help Please. CF

sure do -

you want it the way my gram taught me?

you place your mashed potatoes in the middle of the kitchen table (no bowl - all you need is a fork) (CLEAN table!) hand mashed (no ricer for my gram)

make a well in the middle

crack your eggs in the well

sprinkle with a bit of salt

start beating your eggs with the fork, incorporating flour into the mixture

using your hands incorporate it all making a nice dough

cover with a towel for 10 minutes while you clean the mess

on lightly floured surface, pinch off some dough, roll to a thick dowel size, cut in 1 - 1 1/2 inch pieces and roll with your thumb (we don't fork them we use our thumbs - you can do thousands this way in no time)

bring large pot of water to boil, add salt, return to boil, add gnocchi and cook till done

in place of potatoes - use ricotta

get fancy and add spinach - your choice

- 4 medium potatoes, unpeeled about 2 lb. (1kg)
- 1¾ cups (400g) flour
- 1 egg
- 1½ tablespoon (20g) salt

1. Place the potatoes in a medium pot with cold water. Bring the water to a boil adding a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced, then drain.

2. When the potatoes become cool enough, peel them. Using a ricer, squeeze all the potatoes into the flour making a mound. It's important to do this while the potatoes are still warm. Allow the riced potatoes to cool.

3. Form a well in the center of the potatoes and add the egg, salt and the flour. Mix until you have a sticky ball. Add more flour if necessary and if the dough is to wet to knead.

4. Roll out the gnocchi dough so that it forms a 1½ inch diameter rope, then cut 1-inch pieces. Take each piece and roll it over a fork (better a wooden grid shaped with corners) so that the grid impressions remains.

5. Take a pot with water and bring to boil, then add the gnocchi. Be careful, avoid cooking the gnocchi at a rolling boil. Don't lift them out until they float.

Back