What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a sausage recipe!

Venison Sausage

4 pounds venison
4 pounds ground beef
3 oz. black pepper
½ oz. paprika
1 ¼ oz. crushed red pepper

Wet the hands with water and combine the two meats with your hands. When the meats have been mixed thoroughly, add the spices and rewet the hands. Wet hands prevent the meat from sticking to them as much as it normally would.

Pure Venison Sausage

8 pounds ground venison
1 oz. black pepper
½ oz. paprika
¼ - 1/3 oz. crushed red pepper

Combine.
Note: This recipe is most useful for those on restricted diets, for it contains very little fat and cholesterol.

Maple Deer Sausage

•3 lbs vension
•2 lbs fatty pork shoulder or 1 lb lean pork and 1 lb pork fat.
•2 teaspoons dried thyme
•1 teaspoon dried marjoram
•2 tablespoons kosher salt
•2 tablespoons rubbed sage
•1 tablespoon fine ground black pepper
•8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) real maple syrup
•1/2 cup ice water

1.Trim the venison of all bloody areas and tough connective tissue, cut it and the pork into 1 inch cubes, and grind it through the fine (3/16") plate of your meat grinder.

2.Combine the spices in a small container and mix with the 1/2 cup of ice water and the 1/2 cup real maple syrup.

3.Pour the spice, water, and syrup combination into the ground meat and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.

4.Once the sausage is fully mixed, stuff it immediately into casings and cool it down.

This sausage really is best when it is stuffed into casings, but you could use it in patties in a pinch.

Don't keep this sausage in the fridge for more than a couple of days. It stores well in the freezer for at least 3 months.

Spicy Deer Breakfast Sausage

•3 lbs vension
•2 lbs fatty pork shoulder or 1 lb lean pork and 1 lb pork fat.
•2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
•3 tablespoons kosher salt
•1 tablespoon rubbed sage
•3 tablespoon medium ground black pepper
•1 tablespoon granulated or powdered garlic
•1 cup ice water

1.Trim the venison of all bloody areas and tough connective tissue, cut it and the pork into 1 inch cubes, and grind it all through the medium plate of your meat grinder.

2.Combine the spices in a small container and mix with the 1 cup of ice water.

3.Pour the spice and water combination into the ground meat and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.

4.Once the sausage is fully mixed, stuff it immediately into casings and cool it down.

This venison sausage works equally well as a fresh patty recipe too. You may even want to shape it into logs and freeze it. Then you can cut slices and fry it as needed.

You could also finish it in the smoker, but remember, if you do, add a level teaspoon of either Prague powder or Instacure for each 5 lbs. of meat used.

Don't keep this sausage in the fridge for more than a couple of days. It stores well in the freezer for at least 3 months, but that can be stretched considerably if you use a vacuum sealer.

Easy Venison Summer Sausage

•3 lbs venison

•2 lbs lean ground beef

•1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder

•3 tablespoons kosher salt

•1 tablespoon granulated onion or onion powder

•3 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper

•2 tablespoons paprika

•1 tablespoon whole mustard seed

•1 tablespoon liquid smoke (slightly more if you like it really smoky)

•1 teaspoon Prague Powder #1 or Instacure #1

•1 cup ice water

1.Trim the venison, cut it into 1 inch cubes, and grind it through the fine (3/16") plate of your meat grinder.

2.Add the ground beef to the venison.

3.Combine the spices and cure in a small container and mix with the 1 cup of ice water and the liquid smoke.

4.Pour the spice and water combination into the ground meat and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.

5.Put the completed venison summer sausage mixture in a covered bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 1 to 3 days but at least over night.

6.After the venison sausage has cured in the refrigerator, take it out and form it into logs about 2 inches in diameter. Cover the sausage logs in aluminum foil (shiny side in), and puncture the aluminum foil in several places (small holes) to allow for drainage.

7.Place the foil covered rolls on a rack over a drip pan and bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.

8.Take out the sausage, remove the foil, soak up any remaining drippings by rolling in paper towels, rewrap in foil and allow to cool.

Once your venison sausage is cooled and firm you can slice it for sandwiches or snacking. If you plan to keep it more than a few days it is best to freeze it.

Summer Sausage

5 lb.ground deer

2lb ground beef fat

2 /12 tsp. mustard seed

2 1/2 tsp ground pepper corn

1 1/2 tsp garlic salt

2 tsp. liquid Hickory smoke

Mix well in glass or old crock bowl

Refrigerate 36 hours or so.

Plop on clean work area make into square,cut in equal parts. Using plastic wrap place a log and roll into shape. Keep on cookie sheet in frig for three days. Unwrap on fourth day.place on cooling wire rack,over baking pan.

Bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hour cool,rewrap in foil.store in freezer

JP, another great meat for sausage that is none pork is beef brisket. The fat to lean is on average about 30% fat. Just right for good sausage. CF

JP, another great meat for sausage that is none pork is beef brisket. The fat to lean is on average about 30% fat. Just right for good sausage. CF

I will definitly put that in my memory CF. I just wish they could leave some of the pork alone but they brine everything to save money. It goes longer on in processing without refrigeration plus shelf life is like "forever".

Thank you so much CF. That site just got added to my favorites under food. I can't believe I've never "surfed" across it in my many hunts for low sodium recipes.

Brisket Sausage /W Red pepper and Cheese

JP. you can do this, make it fresh or smoked, little or no salt. Make up your own spice blend. Make it bulk or links. Freezes well also. CF.:)

Sliced Brisket:
SlicedBrisket.jpg

Ground Brisket:
GroundBrisket.jpg

Fresh stuffed:
FreshStuffed.jpg

Smoked with Oak:
SmokedwithOak.jpg

Wow, CF - that is some beautiful looking sausage. Even for someone like me who genuinely doesn't like sausage much, this looks almost too gorgeous to eat. Is the last picture the cooked result? Nice! Have at it, J.P.!

Ian McCourt

Ian, nice to see your smiling face. Its not the best I have ever made but is eatable. The last photo is the finished product. Smoked and ready. Got it in the freezer. Going to make some Boudin sausage next. Its pork and rice with liver. I may use chicken liver, pork liver is not to be found. Thanks for the nice comments. CF

Sorry CF but I'm afraid you pretty much lost me when you mentioned making anything with liver in it. My Dad just loves liver and onions and when he cooks it at home it always smells just wonderful but I've never been able to stomach liver! When Mum passed away at Christmastime I lost the only person who could ever get me to even taste it! My wife isn't much of a fan either so I imagine we won't have any Boudin sausage at our house. But I've
developed a taste for both mild and hot Italian sausage and now have it frequently at breakfast with Mum's recipe for eggs and dippies. Mmmmmmmm! Now that's good eating.
Sure glad to see this forum picking up some steam once again. Mum always enjoyed it and hopefully I can keep the family tradition going.

Well CF, I see you have a grinder and a sausage casing stuffer. I have a friend with an electric grinder so I will have to try using some brisket. The cheese is out though. I love it but all cheese is packed with salt.

JP, you just opened up a whole new project for you. Maybe now is the time to start making cheese. Leave out the salt. we make farmers cheese. I have looked into making cheese, but have to much going on right now. CF

I get a lot of recipes and different seasonings from a book by Dick Loque called "500 Sow Sodium Recipes" He's got something to substitute for everything. Thanks for the site CF.

Back