What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for the absolute best quality spices.

Papa Deuce

I am getting "thisclose" to opening a spice shop... the only problem I have is finding the source(s) for absolutely top shelf spices. I have had many a place send me spice samples and none are up to the quality level I would like. I was at a place in Florida that had AMAZING spices, but of course, they don't want to give away their sources, as they are not wholesalers.

Thanks...

Chuck

I don't know how you can be "thisclose" to opening a shop if you don't have a clue yet of who or where your wholesaler's are, but good luck in your endeavor.

I get local spices by going in to the ethnic communities (Chinese, Korean, Mexican, etc) since they have a good turnover and spices and herbs are very fresh. Online I go to Penzeys Spices Home Page.

Ok, thisclsoe to the DECISION to open a shop... :D

I will have to call them, but I do not think they wholseale. It is not listed ion their site, and i was on it a while back and I think they said on their site that they do not wholesale.

Last edited:
Unless you travel the world like Bill Penzey and search for the

best and original, not sure what you are asking for? Several chef friends of mine use Spices, Herbs, Seasonings and Culinary Ingredients | Spices Etc. and use that in addition to Penzey. They offer some very differnt mushroom and herb treats.

When I was in Turkey I discovered Aleppo peppers, wowzee, got home and it was in my next Penzey catalog
But best of all you must check out the Spice market in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.
There I got saffron from Iran, the best for $9 an ounce, the best in America at that time was going for $9 a gram. When they were putting my coriander, tumeric, paprika in little ziplocks the aroma was amazing and the prices made me swoon.

What is the competition where you are, is it a major city. Would Penzey give you a franchise there??
Maybe do tea or coffee to get people in?? offer olive oil or vinegars. A shop in Seattle has olive oil tastings that call me in.
Also as stated above check out Indian, Asian, Mexican shops and if you have room grow some fresh hers or find them from gardeners in the area?
Also is there a farmers market when you can offer you goods during the summer and get you name around for year round?
Good luck,
Nan

Last edited:
I am getting "thisclose" to opening a spice shop... the only problem I have is finding the source(s) for absolutely top shelf spices. I have had many a place send me spice samples and none are up to the quality level I would like. I was at a place in Florida that had AMAZING spices, but of course, they don't want to give away their sources, as they are not wholesalers.

Thanks...

Chuck

So what spices to you cook with at home or work? When I go out on a ship I pack a few $100 of stuff from Penzeys that I feel are must haves. But for several things I find the good ole Sysco bulk work fine?

Nan

So what spices to you cook with at home or work? When I go out on a ship I pack a few $100 of stuff from Penzeys that I feel are must haves. But for several things I find the good ole Sysco bulk work fine?

Nan

Sysco for a spice shop... I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. :)

I don't have any idea of those spice to be bought. But, try to check the best shop that could offer you the lowest price.

There are some blend of spices sold by Jeffrey Saad. He was the runner up in the 5th season of "The Next Food Network Star". I can't post links yet so I would just suggest searching for him by name.

Also, you might try some of the warehouse clubs. We get great black pepper and cinnamon from Costco.

Good luck.

Hello friends, I got this link evergreenexports.net while searching for spices for my project work, I have visited site they are truly wholesaler and exporter.

This is the right site and place I have been looking also. I highly recommend also to Papa D and thanks to Mahesh for the post. :)

Also, if you like. Try going to mid-eastern region and set a deal for shipping, I've heard that in the middle east. You can get the best quality of spice also. :D

Back