What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

no wheat and no dairy and I'm a Vegitarian

L

loralie1980

I am on a new path with no wheat or dairy in my diet. I am having trouble coming up with a variety of dishes to create in my household.

Any ideas on Wheat free, dairy free and meat free recipes?

I am on a new path with no wheat or dairy in my diet. I am having trouble coming up with a variety of dishes to create in my household.

Any ideas on Wheat free, dairy free and meat free recipes?

Hello Loralie, here is a recipe that we love at our house.

• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 1 2-pound head of cauliflower, cored, cut into 1-inch florets (about 8 cups) 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
• 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
• 1 garlic clove, pressed
• 1 1/4 cups ketchup
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons sugar

Preparation
Preheat oven to 400°F. Toast cumin in small skillet over medium heat until darker in color and beginning to smoke, about 11/2 minutes. Set aside.
Toss cauliflower and 2 tablespoons oil in large bowl. Transfer to medium rimmed baking sheet. Roast until very tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add ginger and garlic; sauté until very fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, and toasted cumin. Bring to boil, whisking to blend. Reduce heat to very low; simmer barbecue sauce 1 minute to blend flavors, whisking constantly.
Remove cauliflower from oven; transfer to large bowl. Toss with enough barbecue sauce to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper. Put the cauliflower back in the oven just till the cauliflower is caramelized in places.
Serve with remaining BBQ sauce.

Hi loralie,

Welcome! We're a fine bunch of folks from all walks of life and all regions. We enjoy meeting new folks and making new friends, so I predict you'll enjoy it here! C'mon in, let us take your coat, and make yourself at home!

to get the proteins you need you will have to research combining beans, legumes, and grains.
dishes that have beans and rice can be varied many ways. also beans and corn for a Mexican twist. check out quiona, a high protein grain. and the many forms of dahl with lentils and dried peas in the wonderful Indian and Nepali cuisines.

with out dairy you will ned to amp up other foods for calcium and iron. Go to the wonderful dark green leafy veggies. the iron is better assimilated when the greens are cooked. and again you get these elements from beans.
will post a couple of recipes below,
Nan

Last edited:
here is one yummy soup, you can toss in extra spinach to up the nutrition--
Mulligatawny with Lentils
3 Tabls. good olive oil or peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tabls. minced fresh ginger
1 large onion chopped
2 carrots chopped
3-4 stalks celery chopped
2 Tabls. good curry powder or garam masala (I use Penzey’s Maharaja)
2 teas. salt
1 teas. cardamom
½ Teas. cayenne
1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes drained and chopped-save liquid
6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 pound brown lentils
1 12oz. can coconut milk
1 bunch fresh spinach or 1 10oz. chopped frozen thawed
1 Tabls. lemon juice
1 Tabls. sugar
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in large stock pot over medium heat, add next five ingredients and sweat for about four minutes, until golden and tender,
Add next four ingredients and cook and stir for one minute.
Add chopped tomatoes and liquid and simmer five minutes, add stock and lentils, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer one hour.
Stir in coconut milk and simmer five minutes. Add lemon juice, sugar and spinach. Stir to bring back up heat for a minute or so. Stir in cilantro or use as garnish on top of each serving.
Makes 12 cups

and another--
Lentil with Winter Greens, Cumin and Cilatro Soup

Lentil Soup with Winter Greens, Cumin & Cilantro « eggs on sunday

I posted the link to this one because the pictures are so pretty. being dairy free you can leave the yogurt off and squeeze a bit of lemon or lime when serving.
I have made this several times using only brown and green lentils. once with just kale and another time with chard and spinach.

enjoy,
Nan

and here is a great salad with quiona---
Southwest Quinoa Salad

1 ¼ cups quinoa, rinsed well and drained
(must be rinsed well!)
1/3 cup lime juice
1 Tabls. Olive oil
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 can 15oz black beans, sodium reduced
1 cup frozen cut corn, thawed, or canned drained
1 cup chopped jicama
3/4 cup roasted red peppers,
not oil packed
¼ cup chopped cilantro
2 Tabls. chopped red onion
2 Tabls. minced fresh jalapeno
Salt
Butter lettuce leaves.

Bring quinoa and 2 ½ cups water to boil, reduce heat cover and simmer 10-15 minutes until water is absorbed. Stir to cool or rinse and drain.
In large bowl combine next ten ingredients. Mix in quinoa and salt to taste.
Spoon over lettuce leaves.
6 servings
Per serving- 237 calories,17%(41 cal.from fat),4.6 gram fat (0.5 sat. fat),8.7 gram protein, 44 gram carb,9.2 gram fiber, 190 mlg. Sodium, 0 choles.

I used a chopped red pepper because it was too pretty to roast and didn’t have a can of roasted. Crunch was nice, but think roasted would add deep flavor.have now used both, like crunch better?
I added a bit more cumin after tasting. Will add coriander next time I think. Used arugala, again, what I had, really good, but I think the butter leaf texture would be lovely.both lettuces good!

And soy will be your friend!

soy milk is good in almost all cream soups, especially potato leek, tomato, and soups with corn.
there is also rice milk, less protien, I haven't used it much, but you could give it a try?

There are soy and rice pastas. they are quite good, just note different cooking times.

And here is a mock feta cheese made with tofu. I make it when I have people with lactose problems and the rest of the crew likes it too.

Mock Feta Cheese ( Vegan Substitute ) Recipe : Recipezaar

again I posted the link because the reviews are interesting. Also, this is a huge source for recipes--just enter the main ingredient or name of dish you want to make and click into vegan, or wheat free, or dairy free.

Also the Whole Foods website is great for recipes and has sections with your parameters. And the Vegetarian Times website.

Nan

You might also want to get some cook books on Indian cooking. In India they eat a lot of vegan food and it's all delicious.

I am gluten free and I use soy milk for about everything I can to replace cows milk.............
But I eat alot of meat..........so I dont really know anything w/o meat or at least butter/cheese of some kind in it.........

I have a feeling I would be in big trouble if I had to give up meat......

Back