What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paging Mama, would mama please help me

ricksrealpitbbq

Actually anyone else is welcome too, but I figured Mama would know what I'm looking for.

My grandmother used to make a molasses type biscotti. All I remember is she would make the loaves, cook for a while, take them out of the oven cut diagonally, and then finish baking them. There were no nuts that I remember, and I don't know times, temps or anything else. All I knew is like most all of her baking she never measured anything and it just came out good.

why measure? I got thrown out of home ec class for arguing with the teacher about measuring - she told me my mother never measured because she didn't know what she was doing - result - the principal straightened the teacher out - mom did a lot of cooking and baking for the school - that teacher hated me - told me I'd never be a cook - she didn't appreciate me saying that everytime she measures 1/2 t. salt I was ready to throw up - and she didn't appreciate me using my hands for measruements -

anyway -

biscotti - OMG - I love biscotti - I can't wait to slice those loaves to finish baking them - then dunking them!

I've got plenty of recipes - not too sure about the molasses tho - but I will check - back in ten....

I have many biscotti recipes - with nuts, candies, candied fruits, raisins, etc. so let me know if anything sounds good - using sugar or brown sugar

using molasses I have -

Gingerbread Biscotti

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
3/4 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a cookie sheet.
In a large bowl, mix together oil, sugar, eggs, and molasses. In another bowl, combine flours, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg; mix into egg mixture to form a stiff dough.
Divide dough in half, and shape each half into a roll the length of the cookie. Place rolls on cookie sheet, and pat down to flatten the dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool.
When cool enough to touch, cut into 1/2 inch thick diagonal slices. Place sliced biscotti on cookie sheet, and bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until toasted and crispy.

Biscotti are SO yummy! I cooked at some work-camps up north and whenever I did biscotti- those things just flew outta the pastry case and off the coffee carts! I coulda made biscotti all day and night long and never kept up w/ those hard-working l'il mining and oil-rig piggies! :) The most popular were always chocolate hazelnut, or ginger almond... and when I dipt them in chocolate or white chocolate they even were more popular! It's hell when you have to modify your recipe and make them not-quite-so-yummy just to make consumption slower- so you can keep up!

Back