What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your china pattern?

R

Raquelita

I always like seeing what other people use as their fine china :). So tell us what your pattern is!

Our pattern was picked out by DH, and it's called Wedgwood Metropolitan, it's white with black accent and silver rim.

I chose three patterns and my husband liked one of them, so that's what we got for our wedding china. We got Wedgewood St. Moritz. It has a white-on-white snowflakey pattern with a platinum edging.

Ours is Lenox Federal Cobalt. It's a white plate with a narrow blue stripe around the outer edge.

That sounds pretty. I have not bought official china yet. Just some cheap Walmart dishes we received at or wedding 10 years ago. The work for us for now.

My china was my grandmother's china, so it's really old. I don't know what brand it is or anything, but it's just a simple pattern. It has 1 wide silver band & a smaller silver band on either side of the wide one. It's real silver, not paint. The color of the china is pure white.

I generally prefer all-white for a couple reasons: 1.) I like the clean palette which I feel really shows off the colors of even drab-colored foods. 2.) basic white from say, Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn, or Target can be easily mix-matched with other white patterns purchased elsewhere...

Also- I have a collection of mix-matched chargers I bought in the used-china section from a huge restaurant supply warehouse. I've got a couple-a-dozen different ones... 1 from a 75 yr. old now-defunct hotel, "The Petroleum Club" from Anchorage, AK.,etc. Very quirky, eclectic & fun!

That raises in interesting question, Chubby.

For those who set a formal table: Do you use chargers?

I rarely use them as such, because they're just one more thing to wash. But sometimes the color contrast contributes to the experience.

For small gatherings I like to use them as the main plate. It's kind of fun to set an oversized plate in front of guests, and watch their reaction.

What about everyone else?

Years ago when I bought/collected the chargers, I entertained more formally and that's when I used the chargers as chargers. These days I prefer things much more casual and if I even reach them offa the top shelf of the pantry at all, I tend to use them as platters when serving tapas-style finger-foods. I use them sometimes for cakes too because several of my favorite large-volume commercial-kitchen cake batter recipes could only be successfully divided so small for household use and for most I have to bake 3 if not 4 10" layers to get every drop of batter used up, so the large chargers make nice cake-plates for that big of a layer-cake.

Well if I sit a charger down in front of my fiance he would be delighted!!!

We do not have a formal china as I gave mine to my daughter. But when we combined households we now use a combo of his Solid White Dinner plates and my Classic Wedgewood Blue (design is a rose pattern) dinnerware; any of the blue & white Willow type patterns are MY Favorite dinnerware in the whole world!!! And have you all seen the blue toile table cloths and kitchen towels, oven mitts etc. at Williams & Sonoma? They are simply beautiful.

I've never owned any, but I too LOVE the look of the classic French blue china patterns. SO lovely! And the linens sound fantastic, Cathy!

I have a set of dishes that I got on clearance at JCPenney's online. They were originally like $100 but I got them for $25. They are like a deep red with scalloped edges. I have a solid white set I got a SAMS and then the ones we use for everyday are my Winnie The Pooh set of dishes I got at the Disney Store lol. Alot of the Pooh set has fallen victim to my butter fingers. I prefer solid color dishes and white if I can get them.

I have some of the Blue and White Willow too Cathy.And a set of Claremont China and A set of kaysons Golden Raphsody China....and a bunch of mix matched....lol..

Francie I also like very Bright Bold colorful patterns, & love some of the Italian patterns, and Eddie and I both love the new Festive looking Mexican stuff, mostly rings around the outer perimeter of the plate in beautiful bright and bold colors! And well from there I have to say I am fascinated with anything Moroccan! I just love BOLD Bright beautiful colors!!!

I always like seeing what other people use as their fine china :). So tell us what your pattern is!

Our pattern was picked out by DH, and it's called Wedgwood Metropolitan, it's white with black accent and silver rim.

Our good china is Spode Blue Italian which my youngest brother gave us. They had three sets of dishes and then he got my mother's so he gave us his Spode. We've added a lot serving pieces we were able to get in Victoria.

Back