What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a great idea...

Style

Anyone heard of this awesome campaign going on right now called The Great American Bake Sale?? The profits that are donated go toward after school and summer meal programs. :)

They are one of the sponsors. Another is C&H Sugar/Domino Sugar. Actually, for the 2nd year in a row, C&H Sugar/Domino Sugar are teaming up with Share our Strength to help fight childhood hunger across the US. The profits that are donated go toward after school and summer meal programs. If you visit DominoBakeSale.com, it will take you right to the site with more info on the campaign, along with a registration form ;)

No offense but there are plenty of hungry people right here in the town where I live.
If I were able to have a bake sale and send the money off to someone else I would feed my neighbors first.

No offense but there are plenty of hungry people right here in the town where I live.
If I were able to have a bake sale and send the money off to someone else I would feed my neighbors first.

I agree with you on that one. Please don't take me wrong - I've donated and given so much for so many years - and only to find out that some of these places only use a very small percentage (less than a nickel) on every dollar for "the cause" made me sick.

I would prefer to bake my azz off for a school baked goods sale because that money goes for a good cause. Fresh homemade goodies can always be donated to a soup kitchen, or even packaged for the food banks. At least that way you know that those who could use it and enjoy it will get it.

I've changed my donations to baked goods sales for various causes, school walk-a-thons, buying foods for the food bank.

I baked for a local grammar (private school) for a couple years. It was closing and the enrollment was going down each year. They didn't have funds for goodies for the kids - they barely had money for a half-azzed lunch program - and that was run cock-eyed anyway. So I would bake goodies for the lunches for all the kids, and I would prepare meals for the after-school program for the kids that spent the next 4 to 5 hours waiting for their parents to get off work. There is no way these kids could go from a 2:15/2:30 dismissal and wait in a room sometimes till 8 or later at night for someone to pick them up and go without food!

If interested - find and after school program that does not get the funds for foods for kids and bake or send food over. And too many kids these days get only what they they are served at lunch - there is no food at home.

Well, the way the Great American Bake Sale works is like this... and I'm quoting the website. "Funds you raise from your local bake sale stay local, supporting after-school and summer feeding programs in your community—food programs that hundreds and thousands of kids depend on." In addition, I also came across this on the official website... "100% of funds you raise help feed kids." I found the info on the "Why You Should Get Involved" page which can be found under the "Ways To Get Involved" drop down menu. Also, if any of you guys are looking for recipes, DominoSugar.com has some great ones!! :)

Back