What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A can of tuna!

I made my own tuna salad at home for lunch today but oops, I had No Mayo... I used Extra virgin olive oil instead it turned out Good. Cookie :)

I used to make my tuna salad w/ mayo, chopped celery, pickle relish and chopped hard-cooked egg. Once when I was out of celery I subbed finely-chopped carrots and chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives, and I liked it so much that I often make it that way now!

I love canned tuna. I like tuna packed in water with some blackening seasoning stirred in and then just spooned onto rice crackers.
I also love sandwiches with tuna, tapenade and marinated artichoke hearts.
Below is my favorite tuna spread for parties or for greedily eating on my own. Once all the ingredients are together you don’t really identify it as tuna but it’s really delicious.
Spuma di Tonno
1 can oil packed tuna
1Tbls plus 1 tsp unsalted butter
1 Tbls heavy cream
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2tsp soy sauce
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
Put the tuna in a food processor and pulse to break up the fish. With the machine running, add the butter, cream, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce and blend until smooth. Then stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the processor bowl. Add the lemon juice and pulse again. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper and blend again. Check the seasoning.
Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days. If refrigerated, return the spuma to room temperature before serving.

tuna combined with a vinaigrette (olive oil, vinegar, herbs/seasonings), minced carrot, minced onion and fill your celery stalks - nice and easy - I like that with a green salad furing the hot summer months

Tuna

That sounds really Good. I like celery in the summer to. The Green w/ pimento olives in tuna are a good idea to. Cookie :)

many times I add chopped pickle and olives to the tuna - you can even add relish - but I prefer the chopped pickle

I once roomed w/ two girls ("Three's Company"-style!) Shannon's Mom visited often and she put finely chopped granny smith apple in her tuna salad instead of diced celery. It was different- but very yummy!

Tuna

I like sweet relish/mayo I put lots of relish in my tuna salad & celery and some onion. I will have to try some Green apple chopped, that sounds Good! Cookie :)

I like making Tuna Quesadilla's. Tuna mixed w/ a little mayo, mustard, onions, salt and pepper, added to a tortilla w/ cheese and some Avocado, toasted on a pan. Yummy.

I prefer Genoa brand Italian tuna in olive oil, some black olives, and lettuce, maybe some celery or finely shredded carrots.

ETA and hold the mayo, I can't stand that stuff on a sandwich

I once roomed w/ two girls ("Three's Company"-style!) Shannon's Mom visited often and she put finely chopped granny smith apple in her tuna salad instead of diced celery. It was different- but very yummy!

When I run out of sweet relish I add chopped apple to mine and it is delicious! Try it in your chicken salad sometime! I heard the chicken salad at Wendy's I believe it is adds green grapes to their chicken salad, never had that but it sounds interesting!!!

We've been getting g fresh tuna that has been just excellent - but the season is just now over. I'm lined up to go next year for halibut, salmon, ling cod and tuna. It's going to be a summer of eating fish. Wish I could get Bones to visit.

Tuna Mousse

Ok, I'll chime in. This stuff is seriously addicting:

1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
10 ounces (280 g) olive oil-packed tuna, drained
1/8 teaspoon pimente d'Espelette, or a nice pinch of chili powder
5 tablespoons butter, salted or unsalted, cut into cubes
2 tablespoons heavy cream or crème fraîche

Mix together the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice.

In a food processor or mortal and pestle (which I used) process or pound the tuna until it's broken down but not smooth. Mix in the liquid seasonings and process or pound until the mixture is smooth. Add the chili powder.

Add the butter bit by bit, adding each cube only after the previous one has been incorporated. If using a food processor be careful not to overdo it as the heat from the machine can cause the butter to melt.

Add the cream or crème fraîche just until it's incorporated.

I make Tuna onions for sandwich.

Ingredients:

500 grams tuna meat
300 grams of mayonnaise
200 grams of onions (white)
12 grams of black pepper powder
30 grams of refine salt.

Hope you'll try it. :)

I love tuna salad made w/ mayo and a squeeze of lemon- and then a bag of frozen/thawwed peas & carrots added. A nice, quick, easy, yummy chilled salad!

Bavarian Lunch :)

My favorite arrangement with tuna is a simple one I first fell in love with when it was prepared by a Bavarian friend when I came to visit Nuremberg...

Chill the can of white albacore overnight (still counts as tuna, right?).
Boil some new or fingerling potatoes cut up, but with jackets left on.
While they're cooking, open and the tuna, drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
Prepare some home made mayonnaise per your favorite recipe (in a pinch Hellman's seems to work best)
Place a portion of potatoes, a portion of the tuna, and a dollop of mayo on the plate.
Eat it by taking a fork-full of potato, with some tuna, and dab a knife tip full of mayo on it. There's something bout the combination of warm potato, with cold tuna, and fresh mayo that's just... Sehr lecker!!
Tastes great with some cool seltzer, or a nice cold Weizen Bier.

Bavarian Lunch :)

My favorite arrangement with tuna is a simple one I first fell in love with when it was prepared by a Bavarian friend when I came to visit Nuremberg...

Chill the can of white albacore overnight (still counts as tuna, right?).
Boil some new or fingerling potatoes cut up, but with jackets left on.
While they're cooking, open and the tuna, drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
Prepare some home made mayonnaise per your favorite recipe (in a pinch Hellman's seems to work best)
Place a portion of potatoes, a portion of the tuna, and a dollop of mayo on the plate.
Eat it by taking a fork-full of potato, with some tuna, and dab a knife tip full of mayo on it. There's something bout the combination of warm potato, with cold tuna, and fresh mayo that's just... Sehr lecker!!
Tastes great with some cool seltzer, or a nice cold Weizen Bier.

Sounds fun and delicious, kyntheligronan... BTW- welcome to Spice Place! I'm Kevin... :)

Back