What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fair season

EGG ROLLS

1/4 medium head of cabbage thinly sliced
1 carrot, julienned
2 handfuls bean sprouts
3 green onions thinly sliced (including green stalks)
3/4 lb. ground pork or ground turkey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Dash MSG or Accent
Dash garlic powder
Egg roll wrappers
1 egg, slightly beaten

Heat 3 - 4 tablespoons oil in wok until hot. Cook onion and meat. Add soy sauce and garlic powder before adding chopped veggies. Cook veggies until just barely tender. Drain off juices. Cool slightly. Place meat and veggie mixture in egg roll wrapper and fold using a slightly beaten egg to seal corners. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain.

**This recipe is very flexible. Small shrimp, clear oriental noodles, and bamboo shoots can easily be substituted.

JUSTIN WILSON'S HUSH PUPPIES
Serves: 48

2 Cup Cornmeal
1 as req Ground cayenne pepper
1 Cup Plain flour
2 each Eggs, beaten
1 tsp Baking powder
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 tsp Salt
1 Cup Green onion, finely chopp
1/2 tsp Soda
2 tbsp Bacon drippings, hot
1/2 Cup Parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Garlic powder (to taste)
1 as req Deep fat for frying

Combine all dry ingredients. Add eggs, buttermilk, onions, and oil or bacon drippings. Mix well. Drop in deep hot fat by spoonfuls and brown on all sides. Now, I said above that this makes 48, I've never counted, so I don't know for sure. But it sure does make a bunch. The main reason why I said 48 is because the program, MenuMaster, won't let you past that field unless you tell it something. Justin Wilson says, Hush puppy is an old Southern term that originated after the Civil War. People didn't have enough for themselves to eat let alone feed their dogs, so when the old hounds started barking from hunger, they would throw pieces of fried corn bread to them, yelling, 'Shut up, dog! Hush puppy!

TEXAS FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
Yields: 4 Servings

3 large green tomatoes
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
2 eggs
2 cups milk
Vegetable oil for frying

Cut tomatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices. In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and seasoned salt. In separate bowl, combine eggs and milk. Dip each tomato slice into milk mixture, then into flour. Repeat, coating each slice well.

Heat oil in deep-fryer to 350* F. Add battered tomato slices a few at a time. Cook 5 minutes or until golden brown.

Homemade Potato Chips

6 or more medium lg. potatoes
Oil or fat for deep frying
Salt

Wash and peel the potatoes. Slice very thin.
An old fashioned cabbage slicer can be used (careful of the fingers) - or use a sharp knife or food processor with a thin slicing blade.
Put the slices at once into a bowl of cold water and let stand for at least one hour.

Ice water is best, but you can set the whole bowl in the refrigerator if you wish. Dry well by shaking them in a towel.
Fry in hot oil at 390 degrees F. until a light golden brown. Don't try frying too many at once, better to put one layer on the frying basket. Drain on paper towels or any kind of plain crumpled absorbent paper.
If you haven't any paper, use a worn dish towel. Salt lightly. These can be kept for some time if they are sealed into plastic bags or containers after they have cooled.

Lethal Weapon French Fry Sauce recipe

2 cups mayonnaise
5 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic

In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir and let stand for 2 hours or enough time for the chili powder to rehydrate and other flavors to meld together.

Dip fries in sauce or use on hamburgers and hotdogs.

CORN DOGS ON A STICK

1 package hotdogs (
8 large bamboo skewers
1 package Quick Corn Muffin Mix (mixed to a thick mix)
1 quart corn oil
yellow or spicy mustard

Preheat oil to 320-330 degrees. Skewer each hotdog. Dredge each hotdog with Cornmeal batter. Carefully drop corndogs into preheated oil. Fry each corndog until golden brown. Remove corndogs with tongs, lifting by the exposed skewer; drain on paper towels. Serve with mustard

DEEP FRIED OREOS
Yields: 2 Dozen

1 -1/4 cups pancake mix any brand
4 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 package Oreos or comparable brand of chocolate sandwich
Confectioners sugar
1 -1/2 cups cooking oil for frying

Combine pancake mix and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Add the egg, water, vanilla extract, and cooking oil. Using an electric mixer, blend all ingredients, gradually increasing the speed of the mixer to make a thick batter and whip in plenty of air. Pour the cooking oil into a medium saucepan and heat the oil until a drop of batter dropped into it rapidly turns golden-brown.

Using a tablespoon, dip the cookies into the batter, then fry them. Turn them to allow even browning of the batter. When the batter is golden brown, remove the cookies with a spoon and drain them on folded paper towels. When they cool, sprinkle them with powdered sugar.

Fajitas-on-a-Stick

1 1/4 lb. boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1 inch thick

1/3 C. prepared Italian dressing

3 T. fresh lime juice

2 medium green or red bell peppers, each cut lengthwise into quarters

2 medium onions, each cut crosswise into 1/2 -inch slices

Salt

8 medium flour tortillas, warmed

Prepared salsa

8 9-inch bamboo skewers

Soak eight 9-inch bamboo skewers in enough water to cover for 10 minutes; drain. Trim fat from beef steak. Cut steak crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick strips. Thread an equal amount of beef, weaving back and forth, onto each skewer.

In small bowl, combine dressing and lime juice, mixing well; brush onto beef, peppers, and onions. Place vegetables on grid over medium, ash-covered coals; grill peppers, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes and onions 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, turning both once.

Approximately 10 minutes before vegetables are done, move vegetables to outer edge of grid. Place beef in center of grid; grill 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning once.

Season beef with salt, as desired; remove beef from skewers. Serve beef and vegetables in tortillas with salsa.

Yield: 4 servings

Cockleburs

1 C. sugar

1/2 C. water

10 oz. pkg. raw peanuts

1/2 t. salt

1/4 t. red food coloring, optional

Boil sugar and water until sugar is completely dissolved. Add food coloring if desired.

Add peanuts. Cook until most of the moisture is absorbed, stirring constantly.

Pour onto a greased jelly roll pan. Bake 325 degrees for 10 minutes. Stir. Sprinkle with salt. Return to oven.

Bake 20 minutes more. Remove and cool.

Italian Sausages with Peppers and Onions

1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage
2 green peppers, sliced
1/2 cup water
2 onions, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 long hard rolls

Place sausage in hot cast iron skillet and brown on all sides. Add water, cover and let steam for 5 to 8 minutes or until sausages are no longer pink in the middle. Remove to plate. Drain off any remaining water from skillet.

Add olive oil to same skillet along with peppers and onions. Cook over medium heat until soft, about 20 minutes. Place sausage in a roll with peppers and onions. Serve.

Banana Pops

Peel 6 bananas, cut each in half crosswise and insert Popsicle stick in each half. Spread a thin layer of creamy peanut butter over each banana half. Pour a 12-ounce package of chocolate minichips into a small pan or bowl; place bananas in the chips and sprinkle chips to cover all sides. Wrap with wax paper and place in the freezer to harden.

Wow mama! SO many treasures! :)

I love them all- but I particularly love deep-fried pork tenderloins. I never in my life woulda guessed the boullion-in-water idea to be a method of working-in more flavor, while breading/coating the meat. Gonna try that technique for sure! Thanks!

Maybe not fair food but I am thinking this may be a hotdog kinda day. Really to hot to be cooking much. Course I like hotdogs most anytime. Although I did bake a pie yesterday. CF:)

I love hotdogs - and I love to fix them all different ways. I don't feel like cooking today with this heat and humidity - so I fried up some SteakUmms and made a quick sammie. Good 'nuff for today.

Geez, Mama!!!! Great recipes. I've not been able to go and eat fair goodies for years and I do so miss them. I usually check out the map in the newspaper to see where the booths are. Always look for the smoked turkey legs booth. Would you by any chance have a recipe for that too? Thanks so much for these. I'll for sure use some of 'em. Got the thread bookmarked.

Smoked Turkey Legs -

3/4 cup brown sugar
2 TBS garlic powder
2 TBS onion powder
2 TBS red pepper flakes
2 TBS Cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere’s works great if you can find it)
2 TBS Tabasco hot sauce
1 TBS poultry seasoning

Place gallon of water and all dry ingredients into a very large pot on medium to high heat. Stir occasionally until mixture comes to a boil. Once boiling occurs the heat can be turned off and the brine can be left to cool to room temperature.

Once brine has cooled to room temperature, pour brine into a very large plastic container or two medium size plastic containers and place in fridge for further cooling.

The brine must reach 40 degrees F before adding meat to brine.

When brine chills to required temperature, add 4-6 turkey legs to brine.

Leave turkey legs in brine for 9 hours stirring around several times throughout the process.

After nine hours, remove turkey legs from brine and rinse well under cool water.

Getting Turkey Legs Ready to Smoke
About 30 minutes before you are ready to smoke them, Coat the turkey legs with olive oil and sprinkle on a little cajun seasoning for good flavor. Try to get the seasoning up under the skin wherever possible as this is where the flavor will be the most tasty.

Once you are finished, leave the legs on the counter and go get the smoker ready. I like to prepare the smoker for about 240 degrees with a mix of oak and pecan. Sometimes I use mesquite or other fruit wood just depending on what I am in the mood for and what I have on hand.

Please note that I normally use a wood fired smoker but these can just as easily be done on propane, electric or charcoal as long as the temperature is right and you have smoke flowing, they will taste great.

Smoking the Turkey Legs
Once the smoker is going and the temperature is at 240 degrees F or so, get the turkey legs and place them right on the grate leaving about 1 inch between them to allow the smoke to be able to flow freely all around the meat.

Occasionally.. about once every hour or so, I like to brush on some olive oil or you can use the spray olive oil to make it real easy. This will help to keep them moist and will help to crisp the skin while they smoke.

If you are using an electric, propane or charcoal smoker then I recommend that you keep replenishing the smoke for at least the first 2 hours.. I like to do it the entire time but I like the smoke to be very prominent.

If you like the smoke to be extremely subtle then you may want to go 2 hours and then finish with just heat.

The turkey legs will take about 3-4 hours to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.

Finishing Up
Remove the turkey drumsticks from the smoker once they are at temperature and wrap them individually in heavy duty foil. They can be placed in the oven to keep them warm or eaten immediately if you so desire.

How to Re-Heat
They heat up really well.. just pop them in the oven at about 275-300 degrees for 30 minutes or until they are as warm as you like them.

Smoked Turkey Drumstick

6 big turkey drumsticks
1 gallon water
1/4 cup Morton® Tender Quick®
1/2 cup salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder

Bring the water to a boil, then add the other brine ingredients. (don't add the drumsticks yet) Stir the brine until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved and remove it from the heat. Let it cool to room temperature, then refrigerate it overnight. The brine needs to be below 40°F for brining.

Using a fork, jab holes through the skin on the drumsticks so the brine can penetrate easier. Drop the turkey legs in the brine and soak them for 24 hours. Replace the brine with fresh water and soak the legs for another 24 hours. Change out the water one time after 12 hours. The fresh water pulls out the excess salt.

Dry the legs off, then season them with a mixture of:

1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon mild chili powder
1 tablespoon black pepper

Set up your charcoal grill for charcoal grill barbecuing. Mix a bit of apple wood or hickory in the charcoal to give 'em smokey flavor. When the smoked turkey legs reach an internal temperature of 180°F, they're done. Cooking them past that point will make them more tender and succulent.

Smoked Turkey Legs -

3/4 cup brown sugar
2 TBS garlic powder
2 TBS onion powder
2 TBS red pepper flakes
2 TBS Cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere’s works great if you can find it)
2 TBS Tabasco hot sauce
1 TBS poultry seasoning

Place gallon of water and all dry ingredients into a very large pot on medium to high heat. Stir occasionally until mixture comes to a boil. Once boiling occurs the heat can be turned off and the brine can be left to cool to room temperature.

Once brine has cooled to room temperature, pour brine into a very large plastic container or two medium size plastic containers and place in fridge for further cooling.

The brine must reach 40 degrees F before adding meat to brine.

When brine chills to required temperature, add 4-6 turkey legs to brine.

Leave turkey legs in brine for 9 hours stirring around several times throughout the process.

After nine hours, remove turkey legs from brine and rinse well under cool water.

Getting Turkey Legs Ready to Smoke
About 30 minutes before you are ready to smoke them, Coat the turkey legs with olive oil and sprinkle on a little cajun seasoning for good flavor. Try to get the seasoning up under the skin wherever possible as this is where the flavor will be the most tasty.

Once you are finished, leave the legs on the counter and go get the smoker ready. I like to prepare the smoker for about 240 degrees with a mix of oak and pecan. Sometimes I use mesquite or other fruit wood just depending on what I am in the mood for and what I have on hand.

Please note that I normally use a wood fired smoker but these can just as easily be done on propane, electric or charcoal as long as the temperature is right and you have smoke flowing, they will taste great.

Smoking the Turkey Legs
Once the smoker is going and the temperature is at 240 degrees F or so, get the turkey legs and place them right on the grate leaving about 1 inch between them to allow the smoke to be able to flow freely all around the meat.

Occasionally.. about once every hour or so, I like to brush on some olive oil or you can use the spray olive oil to make it real easy. This will help to keep them moist and will help to crisp the skin while they smoke.

If you are using an electric, propane or charcoal smoker then I recommend that you keep replenishing the smoke for at least the first 2 hours.. I like to do it the entire time but I like the smoke to be very prominent.

If you like the smoke to be extremely subtle then you may want to go 2 hours and then finish with just heat.

The turkey legs will take about 3-4 hours to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.

Finishing Up
Remove the turkey drumsticks from the smoker once they are at temperature and wrap them individually in heavy duty foil. They can be placed in the oven to keep them warm or eaten immediately if you so desire.

How to Re-Heat
They heat up really well.. just pop them in the oven at about 275-300 degrees for 30 minutes or until they are as warm as you like them.

Smoked Turkey Drumstick

6 big turkey drumsticks
1 gallon water
1/4 cup Morton® Tender Quick®
1/2 cup salt
3/4 cup brown sugar

Bring the water to a boil, then add the other brine ingredients. (don't add the drumsticks yet) Stir the brine until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved and remove it from the heat. Let it cool to room temperature, then refrigerate it overnight. The brine needs to be below 40°F for brining.

Using a fork, jab holes through the skin on the drumsticks so the brine can penetrate easier. Drop the turkey legs in the brine and soak them for 24 hours. Replace the brine with fresh water and soak the legs for another 24 hours. Change out the water one time after 12 hours. The fresh water pulls out the excess salt.

Dry the legs off, then season them with a mixture of:

1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon mild chili powder
1 tablespoon black pepper

Set up your charcoal grill for charcoal grill barbecuing. Mix a bit of apple wood or hickory in the charcoal to give 'em smokey flavor. When the smoked turkey legs reach an internal temperature of 180°F, they're done. Cooking them past that point will make them more tender and succulent.

Back