What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flank steak?

P

patunia

Can someone tell me what another name for flank steak would be? In my neck of the woods (PA.) I can never find anything with that name on it. What should I be looking for? I think someon once told me to look for skirt steak, but I can't find that either.

Thank you,
Cris

Interesting question, Chris.

First off, flank steak has gotten hard to find under any name. It's not as popular as it once was, for various reasons, not the least of which is price. I've seen it at almost eight bucks a pound, for instance. That takes it out of the relm of "inexpensive cuts."

Even so, if you search you may be able to find it. Try asking at the butcher counter.

I have seen it occasionally mis-identified as London Broil---which is a different cut. The flank is much thinner. And the local Kroger sometimes puts it out as "marinating steak," which is a term I never heard until about two years ago.

We love flank steak, ourselves, and are always disappointed when we can't find it. Or when it's so expensive we may as well buy a top cut and be done.

Good luck with your search.

Primal Cut - Flank

The flank is located on the underside of the animal below the loin primal. The brisket / plate / flank are often grouped together as one primal cut or they may be considered as separate primal cuts.
Subprimal Cut Market Ready Cuts Description
Flank

Flank Steak

Flank steaks are very lean and are full of flavor. The flank steak is also known by the following names:

* London Broil
* Jiffy Steak
* Flank Steak Fillet

Ground Beef Ground beef is often produced from scraps from the flank. (In order to be labeled ground beef, the product must be at least 70% lean.)

Flank
The flank is located directly beneath the loin, behind the short plate. It accounts for aproximately 6% of carcass weight. The flank cut of beef contains no bones.

Although quite flavorful, it is tough meat with a good deal of fat. Flank meat is usually trimmed and ground, with the exeption of the flank steak or London broil.

The flank also contains a small piece of meat known as the hanging tenderloin. Although not actually part of the tenderloin, it is very tender and can be cooked using any method.

Skirt Steak
Skirt steaks have much more marbling than flank steaks and as a result, they are more juicy. The skirt steak is also known by the following names:

* Outside Skirt Steak
* Inside Skirt Steak
* Philadelphia Steak

Short Plate
The short plate is located directly below the primal rib on a side of beef' it accounts for approximately 9% of carcass weight.
The short plate contains rib bone and cartilage and produces the short ribs and skirt steak.

Short ribs are meaty and are best when braised.

Skirt steak is often marinated and grilled as fajitas. Other less meaty portions of the short plate are trimmed and ground

Patunia, I can give you tow T&T tips, flank steak is very

tough. You must cook it quickly, and to serve it must be sliced thin on the bias. In fact, I don't purchase it any longer. I would rather put my $ on a good cut of meat, even a small one :)

Flank steak is one of the most delicious cuts of meat, providing you cut it right. You have to cut against the grain on a rather sharp angle, almost as if you were trying to sharpen the blade on the meat. Trust me, if served medium rare to rare, you will find this cut most appealing.

I'm not sure about another name for flank steak. I'm pretty sure that skirt steak, while similar to flank, isn't exactly the same. Skirt steaks are always really long, but, like flank are great for marinating. The skirts that we've gotten might have a bit more fat than the flanks.

Recently I purchased a 'flat iron'. I'm pretty sure that this is a different cut once again, but that was the first I'd heard of it. Also recently had a tri-tip for the first time...all these are very similar in my book. Lean cuts that are great for marinating...coming back into fashion after years of being ground for round.

Back