What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iced Tea

ChileFarmer

Growing up Iced tea was a real treat. Mostly because we had no ice, unless someone brought some from the town ice house. Anyway my question is why doesn't tea taste like it used to? What kind of tea was used mostly for every day use in the 1930's? What would be the best tea to use today for a good flavor iced tea? CF:)

that's a tough one - all the good flavors have been processed out of everything! I like to use a loose tea - brew and then cool - seems to be the best for me

The "tea" you find in most tea bags today is a powder (take a bag apart and look) and designed for one use. In earlier years we had bigger pieces of actual tea leaves. Much more flavor and the leaves were actually used more than once.

Look for loose tea, preferably in Asian markets or specialty tea stores, and with a little experimentation and talking to the experts you should be able to find some great teas for hot or cold drinks.

I love my loose tea brewer that pours from the bottom directly into the cup.

Chile, try looking into the Chinese market in your area. I'm sure, they sell a wide range of tea there. :)

Chile,
Now you are hitting a subject that i would like to know....
what has changed with the ice tea. i am always thinking about thing like that..Good Call Chill

I personally don't know what has changed about tea but I do know how I like it. My Dad likes to make sun tea in the summer and I like to make it now that I have a family and a place of my own.

I'm sure that you all know how to make it. Just put cold water and a few tea bags in a glass jar, cover the top with foil and let it sit out in the sun all day. After it's the right color pour it over ice and sweeten with whatever you want. It's great and refreshing on those hot summer days!

That's gotta be it Annie, the sun.. Well i live in the hot heat of texas and i know that i could this with no problem..
Thanks

Yes, that is good info can man. I also read somewhere that you should only use caffeinated teas for sun tea as the caffeine does something to kill the bacteria.

Lookat yall, information highway up in here!!! lol
jk
Good job guys . That's really good information ..
Thanks

Growing up Iced tea was a real treat. Mostly because we had no ice, unless someone brought some from the town ice house. Anyway my question is why doesn't tea taste like it used to? What kind of tea was used mostly for every day use in the 1930's? What would be the best tea to use today for a good flavor iced tea? CF:)

I prefer homemade tea without any type of sweetener, so I just dump ice in the pot, pour the cooled concoction into a pitcher
and let it cool. Southerners who prefer sweetened tea will tell you that the only way to make proper iced tea is to add sugar to the tea while it is still boiling. True connoisseurs of "sweet tea" (as we call it in the south) never add sugar to tea that has already been cooled, because it doesn't dissolve properly.

Back