What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peaches

Yeah, true story, Brook!

I can identify w/ the window transport tale.

Living in a remote region has it challenges and uniqueness. When one chooses to live that lifestyle there are ever-present realities that rule and affect one's day, every day. It's so funny, living a life where I've had the opportunity to "rough it" other than simply during a weekend camping-trip and all that comes with that has really changed my life and affected who I am. I used to be much more high maintanence personally... I went to Alaska as a guy who wore cologne, shaved everyday and wore hair gel... I used to wear certain style of dress. NOW? Pul-leaze! Not that living up north turned me into a Grizzly Adams, 'cause it didn't- but it really changed many of my priorities and habits.

But hopefully that's the type of stuff that might help, say, sell a cookbook! (uh-hum!) Ha!

Yeah I sure would mama! Sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing... I also like to brush thick-cut pork chops with apple butter when they're grilling YUM!

Hey CAG - how about this:

3 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
3 Tbsp. all fruil apricot preserves
1 Tbsp. dijon style mustard
1 tsp. grated lime peel
1 clove minced garlic

Combine ingredients. Reserve 1/4 c. for basting. Add pork chops to remaining marinade, truning to coat. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, turning chops once. Grill 5 to 7 minutes per side, basting with reserved marinade.

yeah- he was a fine sort, Cathy- I ain't knockin' him a bit... but ain't no shaving-cream or deodorant company gonna sponsor him! Hee-Hee!

yeah- he was a fine sort, Cathy- I ain't knockin' him a bit... but ain't no shaving-cream or deodorant company gonna sponsor him! Hee-Hee!

You got a real point there, maybe Geico could use him though:D (you know the whole caveman "thing")

By the way I have been meaning to tell you I like you Avatar! And have you found that art piece you were looking for yet? Mama have you located it for him? I am now just antsy until I know you have got your very own kitchen plaque!!!

I have not located it yet, Cathy... but my search continues. I've been lookin' for 2-3 years... Oh well, it'll make finally finding it just that much more special!

Awhile back I bought one of those smallish cookbooks that are published on a quarterly schedule. This one was called The Joy of Chicken.

Won't say how far back it was, but the cover price says two dollars ninety five cents.

Anywho, one of our favorite chicken dishes came from it. My comments are in parentheses:

Persian Chicken and Peaches

1 can (29 oz) peach slices
3 tbls flour
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 broiler-fryer (3 1/2 lbs) cut into small serving pieces (or equivalent
boneless breasts or thighs)
3 tbls oil
1 tbls butter or margarine
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup celery, minced (2 large stalks)
3/4 cup shredded carrot (1 carrot)
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 1/2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls tarragon vinegar
1 1/2 tsp chili powder

Drain peaches, reserving once cup of the syrup. Combine flour, oregano, salt, and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour mixture; brown in oil, and remove chicken pieces to casserole. Saute onion, garlic, celery and carrot in remaining oil. Blend in remaining ingredients, including reserved syrup. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered at 350F about 35-40 minutes. Add peach slices and bake 10 minutes more or until chicken is tender.

One of the reasons we like it is that it makes a great over-the-road meal. Make it with rice or noodles. Put in a boil-a-bag. Freeze. While on the road you can then reheat it either in a nuke, or in a pot of simmering water.

Man, I would love me the tar out of this dish, Brook... especially as you recommend- made w/ a mess of chicken thighs. I've always got it all on hand... MMMMM!

Take an oriental approach with this one, Chubby, cutting the chiken into manageable pieces so you don't need a knife.

I would cut small thighs in half, large thighs into thirds, for instance. Breasts into inch or inch and a half pieces.

And, as should be obvious, that's the sort of sauce that makes the meal taste better the longer it sits.

Okay, mama... I have an angelfood tube cake resting upside-down on an empty Bud-Lite bottle-neck right now (woulda bought an easy already-baked cake, but had the mix in the pantry already), and picked up a dozen fresh, fragrant peaches at the farmers market on the way home from work this morning, and I plan to adapt your Peach Cream Cake into a Trifle for a Saturday lunch at my sister's place. Don't know why I'm so hell-bent on getting a trifle out of your recipe- unless it's just that I've got this neat & nifty trifle dish that I hardly get to use!

Anyway- am also taking a whole side of King Salmon to sis's to grill alongside of the porkchops she invited me over for. Am taking extra salmon as I don't have a grill here at the condo and cooking a surplus over their way will give me extra to bring back home to eat in the next few days on salads and such- Yummy! It's starting to finally get HOT here in my neck o'the woods (projected upper-90's and 88% humindity over the weekend) so any meal that doesn't require firing-up the stove will be a good thing...

***Just put together the Peach Creme "Trifle" mama, and it's lovely to look at all layered in my tall narrow, clear glass trifle dish! Of course I did a fair amount of tasting too and boy is it yummy!Gonna make a nice addition at the family barbecue tomorrow!

Last edited:
Halibut with Peach Cream Sauce

Here's one of my favorite dishes:

Baked, bread-crumb crusted halibut with a peach cream sauce. Pairs well with roasted potatoes and grilled asparagus.

You can find a recipe for halibut many places. I'll share the peach cream sauce recipe here:

Peach cream sauce
1c heavy cream
2 egg yolks
1/6 c sugar
1 ½ peaches
Flour
Make ¼” by ¼” dices of peaches
Also, mince tiny pieces of peaches into a mush
Heat peaches in pan with a sprinkle of sugar on medium for 5 minutes stirring constantly
Combine heavy cream and egg yolks and sugar into pan with peaches
Heat over medium for 10 minutes
Add flour to thicken as desired

Awhile back I bought one of those smallish cookbooks that are published on a quarterly schedule. This one was called The Joy of Chicken.

Won't say how far back it was, but the cover price says two dollars ninety five cents.

Anywho, one of our favorite chicken dishes came from it. My comments are in parentheses:

Persian Chicken and Peaches

1 can (29 oz) peach slices
3 tbls flour
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 broiler-fryer (3 1/2 lbs) cut into small serving pieces (or equivalent
boneless breasts or thighs)
3 tbls oil
1 tbls butter or margarine
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup celery, minced (2 large stalks)
3/4 cup shredded carrot (1 carrot)
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 1/2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls tarragon vinegar
1 1/2 tsp chili powder

Drain peaches, reserving once cup of the syrup. Combine flour, oregano, salt, and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour mixture; brown in oil, and remove chicken pieces to casserole. Saute onion, garlic, celery and carrot in remaining oil. Blend in remaining ingredients, including reserved syrup. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered at 350F about 35-40 minutes. Add peach slices and bake 10 minutes more or until chicken is tender.

One of the reasons we like it is that it makes a great over-the-road meal. Make it with rice or noodles. Put in a boil-a-bag. Freeze. While on the road you can then reheat it either in a nuke, or in a pot of simmering water.

I think this a great recipe, but how would you modify it to use fresh peaches?:confused: Here in southwest Michigan, we have a great assortment of fruit in season and I would think that using fresh fruit would make this fabulous.

Thanks.

Mike

Back