What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange request

ChileFarmer

I had a friend email me looking for a recipe for alligator tar tar. I haven't a clue. Yeah, I know I got strange friends. CF:)

believe it or not - it tastes like chicken (so they say) and you only eat the tail - you can get it down south

Mama, we eat it all. Gator ribs is hard to beat. I like it fried best. We did smoke some ribs, not as good as pork ribs. But good.Most that we see in the market is just kinda chunked up, So you really don't know what part you are eating. I don't see it as much as we used to. CF
Annie, the rivers and ponds here have gator in them.

OMG, i just saw a show on Top chef where they had to make Gator meat .

Most of them just used it like chicken, in a stew or Seared with Rice. But you know what they say, Everything taste like chicken...

I've just seen in a show also that making a dish of a gator meat, but I haven't tasted it yet and I think, I won't dare to try to eat it. :(

Only time I've ever tasted Gator was at a fun little rustic drinking-joint just outside of Fairbanks called "Two Rivers Tavern". It was simply cut into strips- battered and deep-fried and I forget was sauce it was served with. If I hadn't known I'd have thought it was chicken strips. Parts is parts- HA! :)

HAhaahhaahaha! Maybe I will eat a Gator meat if I hadn't known it like as what you've said.

" It was simply cut into strips- battered and deep-fried and I forget was sauce it was served with. If I hadn't known I'd have thought it was chicken strips."

:D

believe it or not - it tastes like chicken (so they say) and you only eat the tail - you can get it down south

so true, the taste is like chicken LOLz..:p

I have heard that in Asia, they eat bats. Do anyone here have tried eating that? :D
yup, I've heard about this... and i've watched it in TV segment few years ago.

have you heard about "balot", it's an asian delicacy and are mostly sold by street vendors.

Last edited:
Local seafood restaurant serves fried alligator. Good and price is reasonable to boot.

so true, the taste is like chicken LOLz..:p

yup, I've heard about this... and i've watched it in TV segment few years ago.

have you heard about "balot", it's an asian delicacy and are mostly sold by street vendors.

I heard and I've seen it already. It's just disgusting but, they say it is really delicious. Try to imagine a half-hatched chick inside an egg and you'll cook it with boiling water. That is how the "balot" is cooked.

Just curious regarding this gator meat, if it taste like chicken. Is it tender also like chicken? Or is it harder or tougher meat than chicken?

Back