What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's for dinner?

I am cooking my first batch of kale from the FIL's garden. Jon really hates to smell greens cooking lol. I am going to make some cornbread to go with.

ooo I like greens and cornbread. Have you ever made gumbo z herbs? That is a delicious dish of greens.

Last night I made Grilled Steak Chimichuri with drunken black beans and fresh sliced tomatoes from the garden. mmmm Delicious! Tonight will be Pizza margarita with salad.

ooo I like greens and cornbread. Have you ever made gumbo z herbs? That is a delicious dish of greens.

Last night I made Grilled Steak Chimichuri with drunken black beans and fresh sliced tomatoes from the garden. mmmm Delicious! Tonight will be Pizza margarita with salad.

Can you please share with us the Gumbu z herbs!!!!! I want to make it

Here you go. You can use any kind of greens too not just the ones listed. I have thrown in radish greens & Kolrabi greens. Anything will work.

Gumbo z’herbs

11 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 large smoked turkey leg
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
6 cups sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only; from 5 large)
2 cups finely chopped celery
2 cups sliced green onions (about 8)
1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
5 large garlic cloves, chopped
3 tablespoons filé powder*
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 cups sliced collard greens (about 6 ounces)
8 cups sliced mustard greens (about 6 ounces)
1 large bunch watercress, thick stems trimmed (about 4 cups)
4 cups fresh spinach leaves
1/2 teaspoon sugar
10 cups low-salt chicken broth, divided
3/4 cup all purpose flour

Roast the chicken leg until the skin is crispy. Pull all the meat off the bone and chop it into small pieces. Set aside.

Melt butter a large pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and celery. Sauté until vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add green onions, parsley, and garlic. Sauté until onions wilt, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add filé powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Stir 3 minutes. Add collard greens, mustard greens, watercress, spinach, and sugar. Toss to combine. Add 2 cups broth. Cover and cook until all greens are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
Working in batches of 2 cups, puree greens in processor, scraping down sides occasionally. Transfer puree to bowl.
Heat 10 tablespoons oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add flour; whisk until smooth. Cook until roux is peanut butter color, whisking often, about 7 minutes. Whisk in remaining 8 cups broth and bring to boil, whisking often. Add greens puree, then turkey. Simmer gumbo 10 minutes to blend flavors. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly; chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat before serving.)
Mound 1/4 cup warm rice in center of each bowl. Ladle gumbo around rice.

Wow Jfain this sounds wonderfully delicious and a real different version of cooking greens, I must make this by all means I will let you know how I like it:) And soooo healthy too!

I hope you like it. Traditionally it's made with ham hocks but I use a smoked turkey leg in mine to make it leaner. I also love the flavor a turkey leg gives.

So what are you making for dinner tonight? I'm making a whole chicken breast stuffed with brown rice, marinated eggplant, walnuts and dill then rolled and served with roasted red pepper sauce. Roasted broccoli on the side and ginger-pineapple sundays for dessert.

Last edited:
Wow Jfain, I could be there in like how many hours:D

We are having Buffalo Wings, Baked Acorn Squash, homemade bread, and homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Tomorrow I am making Eggplant Lasagna, I can hardly wait!

Yours sounds good too.

The red pepper sauce is really easy. Just roast peppers, take the skin off and puree them with roasted garlic, red wine vinegar and a little olive oil. Then you can add the herb of your choice. You could use jarred peppers too just make sure they are roasted in olive oil and not pickled.

I think I have the recipe for gumbo z herbs in my Screen Doors & Sweet Tea cookbook. I will have to try it. We will be up to our knees in greens soon.

I made some quick minestrone soup this morning. I posted the recipe under the soup thread. I laid some hamburger out so Jon will probably have cheeseburgers.

Fresh Salad

I made a salad with pinto beans and italian dressing. Desert was mini snickers. I made angel hair pasta last night with turkey balls. It was a rainy day today. Cookie :)

Tonight at Dad's, his wife made us Venison Stew w/ nice big chunks of potato, carrot and turnip. Dolores also made parker house rolls w/ marmalade-butter, and gingerbread w/ canned peaches.

I made smoked turkey legs and kielbasa jambalaya which had to simmer for hours.
I also made Jon some mexican eggs rolls and I baked Jons Dad a pan of apple butter zucchini bread and took it to him.

I made the Best Barbecue Honey Chicken!!

I went out for lunch today, had a beer a light one.:p & a turkey burger with fries..mm.

I have been cooking lately. I made some salmon with teriyaki sauce and a bit of lemon with dill baked it in the oven. Then I stuffed a red & green sweet peppers that I got from the farm stand & put vegetable fried rice in them.

The other day I made chicken thighs with light barbeque honey sauce with some chicken taco seasoning mix about a Tablespoon with 1/4 cup of water.

I marinated the chicken for about 10 min. in the pan then on low heat I covered and cooked it.. was the best I ever made. Cookie :)

Well now that I'm over the darned cold which had me out of commission for 3 days I can get back to cooking. Today I made soup with great northern beans, cabbage & chicken sausages. I also made Chinese red cooked chicken.

:( I'm sorry you weren't feeling well Jfain. I made orange chicken with brown rice, green and red pepper chopped up. Tonight I made my creamy pumpkin pie, you don't even cook it you just chill for 2 hrs. Cookie :)

Went to sis's tonight- she's the one who doesn't like cooking all that much. She used some leftover Alfredo sauce to toss together a nice chicken pot pie w/ a biscuit topping. She did real good- it was pretty and tasty- her kids ate it up (which is the big challenge at their house!).

Back