What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomatoes

Farfalle with Chicken and Sauteed Tomatos

This is a really great recipe.

Fartalle with chicken and sauteed tomatoes

1 pound Farfalle pasta (cooked al'dente)

3 Boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite size pieces. Season with salt and pepper

8 oz sour cream

4tbs olive oil

1pkg grape tomatoes, sliced in half

8oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced

15oz can sweet peas, drained

6 slices of bacon, chopped

1 clove garlic minced

Spoon olive oil into a large skillet. Brown chicken and bacon together. Once lightly brown, add mushrooms, tomatoes, and garlic. Once chicken is completely done and mushrooms are tender, add sweet peas and sour cream. Slowly add pasta to skillet tossing in mixture. Remove from heat.

Eat and enjoy

stephaniedonegan.com

Oooo I love tomatoes! In some asian countries I know they are eaten as a fruit instead of being added into salty dishes.

Anyone make their own dried tomatoes?
I love them and recently got a food dehydrator to make my own this summer.

Last edited:
I make dried tomatoes every year, with everything from grape and cherry tomatoes on up to beefsteaks.

The procedure is basically the same. Cherries get split in half. All the others are cut in slices about a half inch thick. They're laid out on the racks, and the machine turned on.

Some people flavor the slices with salt, pepper, or other flavorings. But I never do that myself.

FWIW, technically they are merely dried tomatoes when you use a dehydrator. Sun dried means laying them out in the sun to dry.

I dry everything (veggies, fruits, spices, jerky - you name it) - I cannot live without my dried tomatoes and peppers. I use them constantly. I don't do the sun-drying - my relatives do that back in Italy. Where I live you can't do it. So I use my dehydrators. There is nothing to it - the dehydrator does all the work.

Thanks.
Now to wait for the garden to give it up.
My herbs and things are only about an inch tall so I have a long wait ahead of me.

Sorry.. I know tomatoes are not the ingrediant of the week.. But I have lots of green tomats.. And it's getting colder here at night.. So wondering how ya make pickled tomatoes.. Anyone can help me out?:rolleyes:

Hi Redneck and welcome - don't worry about your ingredient -

will this help?

Green Tomato Relish

* 6 Red sweet peppers *
* 2 lb Onions
* 3 Sweet green peppers *
* 3 1/2 c Sugar
* 1 c Water
* 1 T Ground turmeric
* 2 lb Green tomatoes
* 1 Small head cabbage *
* 1/4 c Pickling salt
* 2 c Cider vinegar
* 1 T Mustard seed
* 2 t Celery seed

* All vegetables are to be coarsely ground.

Mix vegetables and salt. Cover and let stand 12 to 18 hours. Drain vegetables and rinse. Mix vegetables and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes. Pack simmering mixture in hot jars, leaving 1/8" headspace; seal. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Makes 5 - 6 pints.

NOTE: Vegetables can be chopped if you prefer.

Piccalilli

* 1 quart Green Tomatoes -- Chopped
* 2 medium Red Peppers *
* 2 medium Green Peppers *
* 2 Lge Onions -- Peel Chop
* 1 small Head Cabbage
OR
* 2 cups Cucumber -- Chopped
* 1/2 cup Salt
* 3 cups Cider Vinegar
* 2 cups Brown Sugar
* 1 3 inch Stick Cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon Whole Cloves
* 1 teaspoon Whole allspice
* 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds

* Peppers should be seeded and chopped. ** Cabbage should be shredded.

Combine all the vegetables and the slat and let stand overnight. In the morning, drain the vegetables pressing out the juice. Add the vinegar, sugar and the spices, tied in a bag; bring to a boil and simmer until the vegetables are clear and the syrup is thickened. Discard the spice bag and seall the picalilli in hot jars. Makes 8 Pints. NOTE: One tablespoon each peppercorns and celery seeds may be substituted for the cinnamon.

HUNGARIAN GREEN TOMATO RELISH

10 lb. green tomatoes
1 head cauliflower or more
5 lb. peeled yellow or white onions
5 green bell peppers
5 red peppers
1 cup pickling salt (no iodine)

Brine:

7 cups vinegar (white is best)
1 whole box mixed pickling spices
1 box whole mustard seed
5 cups sugar

Slice thinly only the tomatoes, onions and cauliflower. Place the
cut up vegetables in a large plastic bin. Sprinkle 1 cup of salt over
vegetables and let it sit overnight.

Drain well and rinse off salt with water. Remove the seeds from the
red and green peppers and cut up into small pieces.

Add the rinsed off vegetables and place in large kettle or pot along
with the vinegar, mustard seeds. Place the mixed pickling spices in
a bag or cloth to keep them together so they can be fished out later.
Mustard seeds remain in the relish.

Cook until vegetable are soft, not mushy!

Remove mixed spice bag and add 5 cups of sugar. Cook ten more
minutes until sugar is melted.

Bottle in sterilized canning jars.

Chow Chow

1 quart green tomatoes, chopped
2 sweet green peppers, chopped
2 large mild onions, chopped
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup salt
3 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons celery seed

Grind the chopped vegetables. Add the salt to them and let the mixture stand overnight. Drain the vegetable mixture in a jelly bag, pressing out all the liquid you can. Transfer the vegetables to a large pot. Add the vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, turmeric and celery seed and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for one hour. Stir frequently. Pour the relish into hot, sterilized pint jars, cover, process 15 minutes in a boiling bath.

Redneck, you can use up some of them by making fried green tomatoes. Lots of recipes for that, but here's how I do it:

Slice green tomatoes about 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick.

Make an egg was by beating eggs with lots of hot sauce. At least 1 tablesoon per egg (I don't measure).

In a second bowl put some cornmeal.

Dip the tomato slices in the egg to coat. Then dip in cornmeal. If necessary, repeat for an extry thick coating.

Heat a heavy film of oil in a skillet. It should come about halfway up the sides of the tomatoes. Fry them, in batches, until browned and crispy on both sides. Drain on paper towels.

I've also tried dozens of versions of green tomato relish. To my mouth (and those I've shared it with) this is the best. It comes from a friend of mine's grandmother:

Mama Hall's Green Tomato Relish

1 gallon quartered green tomatoes
4 large onions
6 tart apples
3 large bell peppers
6 serreno peppers
1/2 cup canning salt
3 cups white vinegar
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 tbls pickling spice

Chop the veggies like you would for a fine coleslaw. Core apples but do not peel. Chop fine.

Combine all with canning salt. Let stand overnight. Drain & rinse, pressing out as much moisture as possible.

Combine vinegar, sugar and water. Bring to boil and cook until sugar dissolves. Add pickling spice, in a cloth bag, and veggie mix. Bring to boil and simmer 30 minutes.

Discard spice bag.

Fill cannings jars to 1/4 inch of top. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.

Makes about seven pints.

Green Tomato Pickles

7 1/2 lb green tomatoes
3/4 cup pickling salt
1 tbls whole allspice
1 tbls whole cloves
1 tbls pepercorns
2 green pepers
5 onions
1 tbls celery seed
1 tbls mustard seed
1 tbls dry mustard
1/2 lemon
3 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups brown sugar

Wasn tomatoes, cutting off blossom ends, blemishes, and stems. Slice thinly crossways. Peel and slice onions into thin rings. Sprinklw salt over alternate layers of sliced tomatoes and onions in an earthenwre or plastic container. Let stand in cool place overnight.

Drain off brine. Rinse vegetables thoroughly in cold water and drain well.

Slice lemon thinly and remove seeds. Wash peppers well. Remove stems and seeds. Slice thin, crossways.

Tie all spices loosely in muslim or double layer of cheesecloth. Add the spice bag and sugar to the vinegar in a large enamel kettle. Bring to a boil. Add tomatoes, onions, lemon, and pepers. Cood for 30 minutes after mixture returns to a boil, stirring gently to prevent scorching.

Remove the spice bag. Pack the pickles in hot jars and cover with boiling hot liquid, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes about 9 pints.

BAKED GREEN TOMATOES

8 medium-size green tomatoes
1 C. small bread crumbs, toasted
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 T. butter or margarine
1/3 C. grated Parmesan cheese

Cut tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices. Arrange half of the tomato slices
in a single layer in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle half the crumbs,
half the salt and pepper and half the butter or margarine. Repeat
for second layer and sprinkle cheese on top.

Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes until tender.

Dilled Green Tomatoes

* 5 pounds green tomatoes -- small, firm
* 3 1/2 cups vinegar
* 3 1/2 cups water
* 1/4 cup canning salt
* 6 cloves garlic -- or as needed
* 6 sprigs fresh dill -- or as needed
* 6 bay leaf -- or as needed

Wash & core tometoes, cut into halves or quarters. Combine vinegar, water & salt in a large sauce pot; bring to a boil. Pack tomatoes into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Add 1 garlic clove, 1 dill sprig, and 1 bay leaf to each jar. Pour hot liquid over tomatoes, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath.

Yield: about 6 pints

Just a month ago, I canned 150 pounds of tomatoes to make sure I have plenty to cook with this winter. I love a tomato sandwich as long as we have fresh tomatoes. But I guess my favorite would be fried green tomatoes. I really don’t have a recipe but, I slice my tomatoes about a ¼” thick, pat dry with a paper towel. Dredge in buttermilk, then into a mixture of ½ cup corn meal, ½ cup all-purpose flour with salt and pepper to taste, Old Bay seasoning, and whatever you taste dictates. Brown in 350° oil. I also have recipe for crawfish remoulade that’s great on top of fried green tomatoes.
CRAWFISH REMOULADE
1 pound crawfish tails
1 cup mayonnaise
1 (3-ounce) jar capers
1 teaspoon creole seasoning
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
Juice of 1 lemon

Drain crawfish completely, press into a drainer to insure as much liquid as possible is removed. Chop into small bite size pieces, in a large mixing bowl, mix crawfish, mayo, capers, spices, lemon juice, and relish and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and chill until ready to serve.Very good over green fried tomatoes.

Thank you Everyone for your idea's for pickling tomatoes.. One of you wonderful people mentioned a batter for green tomatoes.. Is there something other then egg you can use.. highly alergic to egg..and sounds very good..;)

Try dipping the slices in mustard of your choice. Or mustard thinned with a splash of white wine. Then dip in the breading.

Fried Green Tomatoes - with batter

4 green tomatoes, washed, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/4 cup of flour
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
canola oil or olive oil

Combine cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper in a shallow platter or plate. Beat egg and add milk. Dip sliced green tomatoes in egg mixture and then coat with cornmeal mixture. Heat oil about 1 inch deep in a frying pan. Drop coated tomato slices into hot oil. Avoid over-handling and turn tomatoes once when browned on the first side. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot. Good with fried fish and potatoes.

Fried Green Tomatoes with Roasted Red Pepper Dip

Red Pepper Mayo dip:

1 Red Pepper Roasted, Peeled & Seeded
1 Cup of Mayo
½ Cup Sour Cream
2 Cups Onions, chopped (white and Green Part)
1 TBSP Capers
2 TBSP shredded Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Finely chop or pulse pepper in food processor

Add remaining ingredients & refrigerate at least 4 hours best overnight

6 Slices of White Bread (Not thin sliced)
½ Sleeve Ritz Crackers
1 Egg
1-Cup Milk
½ Cup Seasoned Flour
2 Green Tomatoes (8 slices)
2-3 TBSP Butter
2 slices cooked bacon

Slice Tomatoes & Reserve. Make Breadcrumbs w/bread & crackers. Wisk the egg w/ milk seasoned flour on plate. Dip tomatoes in the flour; dip in egg wash then coat w/ breadcrumbs. Saute in pan with butter tbsp at a time until golden brown @ 2 minutes/side. Serve with mayo dip & garnish w/crisp bacon.

Mama, thanks, love all of the recipes posted here. I just canned

2 bu tomatoes. I buy them at a huge farm about an hour from here called Papa John's. He has the best tomatoes I've ever eaten, I purchase and can every year. Also, I slice clean, ripe tomatoes and place them on parchment paper on cookie sheets. I freeze them solid then drop them into ziplock bags. They are wonderful for soups and stews. Don't bother with the peel, it rises to the top of the soup or stew pot and can be easily removed with a slotted spoon as it cooks.

Mama, my Mom used to make Chow-Chow every year. She used my Grandmother's recipe, which was PA Dutch. My older sister now makes it and takes pride in sharing with our siblings. It is so good.

Here are a few recipes someone might enjoy or great to use up the ample supply of tomatoes.

Green Tomato Mincemeat Recipe

12 cups Chopped green tomatoes
16 cups Apples, unpeeled, cored
4 cups Chopped sultanas
2 cups Currants
1 cup Vinegar
2 tablespoons Lemon rind
2 tablespoons Orange rind
6 cups Sugar
2 tablespoons Cinnamon
2 teaspoons Nutmeg
3 teaspoons Salt
2 pinches Cloves
8 tablespoons butter

Chop in processor apples and tomatoes. Add remaining fruit and process. Blend everything in a large pot. Cook slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Bottle and process in hot water bath.

serves/makes 3 bottles

CHOPPED GREEN TOMATO PRESERVES

6 lb. green tomatoes
4 sweet green peppers
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 1/2 tbsp. salt
2 1/2 c. cider vinegar
1 tbsp. whole cloves
1 tbsp. whole allspice
2 sticks cinnamon, broken

Core and chop tomatoes, and green peppers. Place in pan, add sugar, salt, vinegar. Tie the spices in bag for easy removal. Add to tomato mix. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Simmer 2-3 hours or until thick. Discard spices. Pour into hot sterilized jars. Seal.

Green Tomato Raspberry Jam

2 cups sugar
2 cups green tomatoes
1 package (3 oz size) red raspberry jello

Mix sugar and tomatoes which have been cored and liquified in blender. Boil for 2 minutes. Add box of jello. Bring to boil again and boil two more minutes.

Put in jars. Either freeze or top with 1/8" of paraffin when cool.

Back