What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herbs, spices and seasonings

And Pumpkin Pie Cookie, lol. I have never used them for a chicken dish before and think that the results could be pleasing.
I'm thinking that for a Curry I should just use spices to my liking. I don't know much about turmeric as far a flavor goes but I know it provides a lot of color. I don't have any coriander but I do have Cilantro. I'm thinking that Cilantro would go really well in this type of dish. I wonder if Cilantro and Coriander taste close enough to the same? They are from the same plant.

I just bought some Pumpkin Pie Spice, I haven't used it yet.

I'm not sure of the Cilantro and Coriander, I don't have those spices. The only spice I have is Cumin Seed (India Ground). I use it in my chili. I have had chicken-chili from an Indian restaurant it was Delicious. Cookie :)

Pumpkin Pie Spice

1/2 cup cinnamon
1/4 cup ground ginger
2 tablespoons nutmeg
2 tablespoons ground cloves

Combine all. Use 3 1/4 teaspoon per 1 1/2 cup canned pumpkin.

Indian Masala

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

In a 1/3- to 1/2-cup tall, narrow clear jar, layer the ingredients, contracting light layers with dark layers.

Instructions to go with the gift:

Indian Masala

To use, shake jar or stir spices until blended.

Rub onto poultry, vegetables, pork or beef, and roast or barbecue.

Hunan Spice

4 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
2 Tbsp ground Szechuan peppercorns
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp ground ginger
2 Tbsp dried cilantro
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp mustard seed

Combine all in a jar and shake well to mix. Use in Hunan Chicken, Pork, Beef. Makes about 14 Tbsp. Use about 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons per 1 1/2 lbs. of boneless meat and 1/2 cup liquid.

Spicy Seasoning Mix

3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper

Combine all ingredients. Cover and store in airtight container. Shake before using to blend.

I don't know much about turmeric as far a flavor goes but I know it provides a lot of color. I don't have any coriander but I do have Cilantro. I'm thinking that Cilantro would go really well in this type of dish. I wonder if Cilantro and Coriander taste close enough to the same? They are from the same plant.

turmeric is interesting, I had read once that it became popular as a substitute for some of the saffron in dishes to cut cost. However I think in a recipe such as yellow rice, where it, salt and onions are the major seasonings that it does add a depth of flavor. It has also been reported it has some health benefits?

To me cilantro and coriander share a slight citrus flavor, more obvious in the seeds. but they are often used together and add two different things to a dish. The coriander needs long cooking or toasting and the cilantro is added at the end. A side note--several years ago I had some cilantro plants on my deck. I was gone for a while and they bolted and got huge!! As I was pulling them out and tossing, I noticed a really lovely aroma--thought later that I had seen rosemary stems soaked and used for kabobs--hmm, think I will let some bolt this summer and give that a try??
enjoy,
Nan

Nan, I haven't discovered the fruity taste of cilantro, lol. I am careful with the amounts I use in my salsas and dips because just a bit to much and I get that soapy taste in my mouth that reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother was setting my verbal skills in the right direction.

I get that soapy taste in my mouth that reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother was setting my verbal skills in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

LOL! how about those that try to burn your tongue off with red hot crushed peppers???? it was actually a dash of paprika - sometimes it was red colored sugar - but could you detect it??? nope - in your mind and all the screaming, crying, and trying to spit it out - it was HOT PEPPER BURNING YOUR MOUTH!
ohhhhh the effects of parental mind control.....................

Nan, I haven't discovered the fruity taste of cilantro, lol. I am careful with the amounts I use in my salsas and dips because just a bit to much and I get that soapy taste in my mouth that reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother was setting my verbal skills in the right direction.

I liken the flavor of cilantro to the exact way a stink-bug smells...ew-w-w-w but I do like a hint of cilantro, I grow it and have easily over-done a dish by adding too much. It is most def. an acquired taste. I can live with-out it, but I do like it and use it, my family does not share my taste for cilantro.

The stink-bug I am speaking of is a flat-bodied green bug (sometimes they turn brownish) that have a body shape similar to that of a coat-of-arms, and they stink to high heavens if you squish 'em, I guarantee if you know the bug I am speaking of you will agree with me that cilantro tastes like that smell.

I get that soapy taste in my mouth that reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother was setting my verbal skills in the right direction.

I think that is a horrible thing to do to any child, soap is caustic and made from lye, I mean gosh why does it really hurt if we get it into our eyes? Think about it! Parents can use better parenting skills than that in my opinion!:mad:

Last edited:
Parents can use better parenting skills than that in my opinion!
Too late. Many generations of children have already gone through it and it was not a lye soap, but IVORY pure. :D

I know what Ivory tastes like, also what a 2x4 paddle feels like across the back of my legs, and a yardstick across the knuckles when your fingers are laid out flat on the desk. :eek: I turned out pretty darn good as a result.

Too late. Many generations of children have already gone through it and it was not a lye soap, but IVORY pure. :D

I know what Ivory tastes like, also what a 2x4 paddle feels like across the back of my legs, and a yardstick across the knuckles when your fingers are laid out flat on the desk. :eek: I turned out pretty darn good as a result.

I know CanMan and I also know we had some strict parents and teachers and we did survive,
but man all those years of counselling just to recover form all the "attitude adjustments" we endured!!!:D What a drain of $$$$

Last edited:
I feel sorry for people that feel they need years worth of therapy just because they had their mouths washed out with soap when they were a child.

Cathy, do you have any recipes for chicken cooked in a coconut type curry?

Spicy Chicken Coconut Curry

Never heard of "counseling just to recover form all the 'attitude adjustments' " in my day. That seems to have been invented by someone later that had nothing better to do. Nowadays we seem to be overrun with people that need "attitude adjustments".

Last edited:
I like the Basil Chicken CMan. I would make that even without the Curry. Maybe use some chicken stock with the coconut milk. That looks really good.

Nowadays we seem to be overrun with people that need "attitude adjustments".

You are right about That! Maybe it was the result of all the "Assertiveness" classes of the 1980's and 90's:confused:

By the way CanMan that recipe for Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce looks awesome, thanks for sharing it!

Last edited:
Back