What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herbs, spices and seasonings

Horseradish

One item that I use a lot of is Horseradish. I wouldn't exactly call it a spice or an herb but I sure use it a lot to add flavor to so many dishes. I grow my own and process several quarts of it a year. I use it to flavor sauces, gravies, salads, meats and poultry. It's a great natural remedy for clearing the sinuses. It even adds a good flavor to fish dishes.
I have never had sushi but know that there is an ingredient used often with sushi called Wasabi. I do believe that Wasabi is an oriental type version of horseradish.
I love making shrimp cocktail sauce using my horseradish because it's supper hot.
It also adds a really nice kick to a bloody Mary.

Genuine wasabi is related to horseradish, IC, in the same sense that daikon is related to French breakfast radishes. But it's both hotter, and has a more mellow underflavor.

Most so-called wasabi available in the U.S. is merely green-dyed horseradish, as real wasabi is far too expensive.

I love horseradish IC, it is an extremely wonderful taste. We even use it in a sauce made with mayonnaise and eat it as a condiment to our sliced pork roast. I can think of no greater flavor than seafood cocktail sauce made with fresh horseradish!

Berbere Spice Mix

HOT!

2 teaspoons cumin seed, or powder
1 teaspoon cardamon seeds (shell off the husks), or powder
1/2 teaspoon whole allspice (or ground)
1 teaspoon fenugreek seed (or powder)
1 teaspoon coriander seed (or powder)
8 whole cloves, or ground
1 teaspoon black peppercorns, or freshly ground
5 teaspoons red pepper flakes or crumbled dried red peppers
1 tablespoon grated fresh gingeroot (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sweet paprika (can use hot)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Toast all the seeds and whole cloves in a small frying pan for 2 minutes, stirring constantly (open window or turn on the stove vent--it can smoke). Grind the spices in a spice grinder. Or, use ground spices.
Mix in all remaining ingredients. Place in a tightly covered container and refrigerate. This mixture can be used with many combinations of legumes, rice or vegetables.

African Fish Curry Powder

1/2 lb Dry red chiles
1/2 lb Coriander seeds
2 oz Cumin
1 oz Turmeric
1 oz Mustard seeds

Curry powders are an important part of African cooking due to the heavy influence of Arabic and Indian cuisine in Africa. Curry powders are made from different proportions of spices, dried and ground. Spices can be dried in the sun for two to three days, in a low temperature oven, or on top of the stove in a dry skillet. If using a skillet be sure to shake the spices constantly so they don't burn. Grinding is usually done with a mortar and pestle. Curry powders are not necessarily hot, they are made that way by the addition of chili peppers.

Dry spices, grind to a powder and seal in an airtight container. Use 2 teaspoons of curry powder to every 1 lb of fish.

Tabil

Tabil is a popular Tunisian spice mixture which may be used to season many Middle-Eastern meat and vegetable dishes. To make the tabil combine 2 1/2 tsp. each of finely chopped garlic, finely ground caraway seeds and crushed hot red pepper flakes with 1 1/2 tsp. of finely ground coriander seeds. The mixture may be stored for 2 - 3 months if kept in a tightly sealed container.

Korma Mixture

1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon ground coriander
0.5 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground kus-kus
1 tablespoon ground almonds
1 cup sour curds
salt

Blend and seal in an airtight container.

Mama, Thanks for the information I will have to add curry to fish sometime sounds Good. Cookie :)

Spice Rub with a Moroccan Flair

2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper -- coarsely ground
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

In a small bowl, stir together all of the ingredients. Use immediately or store in a tightly covered container for up to 1 month.

Rub onto the meat or poultry and let stand 15 minutes or refrigerate up to 4 hours before grilling.

Makes about 2-1/2 tablespoons, enough to rub on 2 pounds of beef or lamb burgers, 2 pounds of beef or lamb for shish kebabs, or 2-1/2 pounds of chicken parts.

Yield: 2 1/2 tablespoons

Herbs are a wonderful gift to the palet of humans. They are every where each with its own unique flavour. The interesting thing about them is that each region in the world may produce a uniquie flavour to the same herb. In Jamaica it is said that the thyme has a much stronger flavour than that in the USA..
They are verstile both for healing and for enhancing cullinary dishes

Ironic chef ... I am from the Caribbean islands and depending on the quality of curry powder you can season your food lightly with curry powder. To prepare the mixture before cooking. you place a teaspoon or two of curry powder and water in a small mixing bowl, add seasonings of your choice and mix together with a spoon, then pour a teaspoon of oil in a frying pan, add a couple of heads of raw garlic cooked until lightly golden brown to season the oil, you can also add an Indian seasoning named geera, add the curry mixture to the seasoned oil until it is thoroughly cooked, then add your other ingredients meat etc.,

Last edited:

Mama, Thanks for the information I will have to add curry to fish sometime sounds Good. Cookie

Curried fish is delicious, the curry seasoning is so strong, that placed together with other seasonings, takes the freshness of the fish taste or smell away.

Hello, I have a question about anise seed. I have an acquaintance who is an elderly Greek lady who has had a catering service for decades. And she sells a lot of her Greek cookies, one of which uses anise seed as the flavoring. She tells me that the anise seed that she now buys is much weaker in flavor than what she used to buy. Some one told her that the reason is that now-a-days they boil the anise seed to remove some of the essential oil and then sell the previously boiled seed. She does not know whether that is true or not. All she knows for sure is that the anise seed that she now buys is weaker in flavor and she has to used more of it. Does any one know if the boiled anise seed story is true? And does anybody know where one buys anise seed with the strongest flavor?

Back